St. Thomas United Methodist Church
Position Title: Director of Children’s Ministries
Reports To: Senior Pastor
Position: 35 to 40 hr/week with mandatory Sunday mornings
Salary: Depending on experience; ranges from $41,600 to $48,000
Education/Training: A director of children's ministry should have a bachelor's degree in Christian education, theological studies, or children's ministry or similar experience. The person should have experience working with children (church-related
or secular) and experience teaching Christian principles. The candidate shall have strong organizational and interpersonal skills along with a strong Christian faith and dedication to living a life worthy of Christ.
Background: The goal of Children’s Ministry is to nurture children and encourage them to develop a relationship with Jesus Christ. It involves teaching them about the Bible and God, as well as cultivating their spiritual
gifts and training them for leadership roles in the church. Children’s ministry includes components, such as Christian education, music, art, sports, and fellowship. To be lead an effective children’s ministry, the candidate will demonstrate a love of children
and be a follower of Jesus Christ. St. Thomas United Methodist Church requires that all candidates profess salvation, the belief that Jesus died and rose again for our sins and understand the amazing gift of grace. He/she will need to follow biblical standards
for ethics and behavior. Enthusiasm and faithfulness are essential characteristics as are time management, leadership, and organization skills.
- Create a vibrant, energetic Children’s program that
- Attracts new children into the Children’s Ministry
- Retains existing STUMC children/families
- Teach biblical and doctrinal principles to STUMC children and their families when appropriate
- Establish robust set of qualified volunteers to assist with program implementation and growth
General Job Description/Responsibilities:
- Selects doctrinally and developmentally appropriate curriculum for religious education, oversees and/or prepares lessons plans and supervises and/or lead classes and trains others to lead classes in religious education and Bible study for children of all
ages. This includes Sunday school, children’s church and Vacation Bible School.
- Oversees and/or plans, coordinates and implements events such as Vacation Bible School, Easter egg hunts, Trunk-or-Treat and other events that are coordinated with other STUMC programs.
- Work with parents to meet the spiritual needs and growth of their children.
- Oversee the preparation of the annual budget for Finance Committee, attend Finance Committee meetings as needed during budget planning to address questions
- Supervise Children’s Ministry staff – paid and volunteer
- Actively recruit, train and coordinate volunteers
- Use publicity effectively
- Communicate frequently and effectively to family of the children, the church and the community.
- Letters to parents/families regarding events, programs, staffing, changes
- Submit articles/news for the weekly bulletin and the monthly newsletter
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Attend Education Committee meetings and work effectively with the Committee
- Attend Children’s Council Meetings and work effectively with the Council
- Establish good working relationship with Sunbeam Children’s Center Director and coordinate space & activities to maximize spiritual growth of our children
- Supervise Manassas nursery staff
- Establish relationships with the children and their families by:
- Calling on first-time visitors
- Hospital visitation as appropriate
- Contacting families who have been absent
- Become knowledgeable of and maintain the Child Protection and Safety Policy