Memorial Baptist Church
“A Place and People of GRACE”
Minister/Associate Pastor of Children and Family Ministries
Status: Full Time (Ministry Staff Position)
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Children’s Ministry Volunteers
Nursery Coordinator / Workers (paid)
Children’s Ministry Assistants / Intern(s)
The Associate Pastor of Children and Family Ministries will provide comprehensive leadership and oversight for all children’s related ministries (birth – 5th grade) as well as promote and establish effective working partnerships between Memorial Baptist Church
and parents for the overall spiritual formation of their children and family. In addition, the Minister / Associate Pastor of Children & Family Ministries will be Memorial's primary advocate and driver for strengthening families and equipping parents.
• Articulate and communicate a clear and compelling vision and strategy for children and family ministries
• Evaluate, choose and adapt curricula that best fulfills the mission of the church
• Establish annual and long-range goals for children and family ministries that are consistent with Memorial's mission, process and strategic plan
• Develop, plan, promote, implement, and evaluate the church’s ministry to children (birth -5th grade) including: a graded Sunday School, Wednesday evening clubs, Vacation Bible School, Children’s Church, Nursery and various other special events appropriate
for spiritual growth of the children.
• In concert with the Pastoral Staff, develop, plan, promote, implement and evaluate ministries designed to strengthen Memorial families
• Recruit, train, manage, supervise, and appreciate teachers, helpers, musicians, and any other volunteers necessary to staff Children’s Ministries at Memorial
• Resource, advise, supervise, and annually review any direct report part-time staff positions
• Participate in weekly Pastoral Staff meetings and work together with the Pastoral Staff to coordinate and compliment each other’s ministries as well as develop a cohesive annual and long-term strategic plan
• Partner with parents in their child’s spiritual formation by providing multiple and regular classes, resources and experiences that equip and encourage parents in their role as primary spiritual instructor and guide
• In coordination with other Pastoral Staff, provide pastoral care to families with children (birth – 5th grade) who are in crisis. This responsibility may include hospital visitation, acute family counseling, grief counsel and care, praying with and for
• Be prepared to perform other pastoral duties including baptizing children, serving communion, dedicating babies, visiting families, etc.
• Develop, implement and maintain effective and regular communication with parents concerning Children & Family ministries via printed material and electronic communications tools (such as the church Web site, etc).
Other Core Competencies:
• Have an evident calling, quality training, and sincere passion to minister to children, youth and their families, and adult teachers who serve in the educational ministries of the Church.
• Experience in church educational ministry, and/or ministries to children and youth
• College degree; seminary degree preferred. Currently ordained or seeking ordination.
• Relates well to people, whether above, below, or parallel on the organizational chart. Is well-liked by those who work in the ministry. Works well in a team setting and enjoys collaboration in ministry development. Handles criticism well (whether constructive
or not), and has the intuition and skill to help resolve conflicts. Protects confidences and anonymity where appropriate. Is loyal to staff, leadership and church.
• Excels in an innovative environment and is comfortable with a measure of uncertainty and change. Understands the dynamics of the change process in an established church setting and does not become easily frustrated with resistance to or slowness of change.
Continues learning and challenging her/his own assumptions and paradigms, and can process those thoughts effectively with others.
• Possesses the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with children and adults. Competent in a wide variety of communication genres including vision casting, skills training, teaching both children and adults, one-on-one counseling/mentoring, small
group interactions, etc. Understands the need for constant communication with families and can effectively utilize multiple types of media, both electronic and hard copy, for this purpose.
• Have excellent time management skills and organizational abilities
• Be able to multitask with the ability to discern, analyze, and wisely resolve ministry issues
•Be able to communicate effectively with individuals and groups with the ability to build consensus, in writing and oral presentations
•Be able to establish effective working relationships with others, with genuine love and concern
• Be detailed oriented, flexible, and decisive, with the ability to organize and coordinate work, set priorities and meet deadlines
• Submit to the leadership of established policies and doctrines of the Church
Memorial Baptist Church of Columbia, Missouri is seeking a passionate and committed individual to lead in the areas of Children and Family ministries.
The right person will possess the skills to provide comprehensive leadership and oversight for all children’s related ministries (birth – 5th grade) as well as promote and establish effective working partnerships between Memorial Baptist Church and parents
for the overall spiritual formation of their children and family. In addition, the Associate Pastor of Children & Family Ministries will be Memorial's primary advocate and driver for strengthening families and equipping parents.
Applicants should possess an accredited undergrad degree in children and family ministry or a related field. Seminary education in children and family ministry is a plus. Experience and a proven track record of effectiveness is required.
About Columbia, Missouri
Columbia is located in central Missouri, and is home to the University of Missouri (MIZZOU!!), Columbia College, and Stephens College. There are two large high schools and one new high school set to open in 2014. It's a wonderful place to live and work!
Memorial is a grace-filled community committed to diversity, unity, equality and ministry!
Memorial is a diversely aligned congregation that endorses the 1963 Baptist Faith & Message. We have members who support missions in a variety of organizations; Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, Missouri Baptist Convention, Southern Baptist Convention, and
Baptist General Convention of Missouri. On any given Sunday you'll run into Republicans, Democrats, Independents, Progressives, Conservatives, Liberals, and even a few Kansas Jayhawks. How does such a diverse group worship and work in harmony? We understand
what's really important, and keep our focus there!
Our unity is in Christ. The person, work, and way of Jesus is where we find our unity and identity. We are committed to being a place and people of Grace, united in Jesus Christ. Our unity in Christ keep us on mission. Our church is mission oriented and
actively involved in outreach programs such as: Upward Basketball and Cheer leading, GriefShare Ministry, Friends International, Buckner International Missions, Love INC., Food Bank of Central Missouri, and Together for Hope...among many others.
Memorial is committed to equality in ministry. The church ordained its first woman to the ministry in 1974. Our first women deacons were elected in 1986 and ordained in 1987. Women have been actively serving as deacons in the congregation since that time.
Memorial supports the call to ministry of both men and women.
Memorial believes that every member is gifted for ministry, and should be encouraged, equipped and enabled to fulfill their calling. Ministry engagement is an expectation at Memorial.
If you'd like to be part of what God is doing here in Columbia, send a cover letter, recent photo, and resume to email@example.com in .pdf format.
To learn more about our current staff feel free to snoop around our website: www.memorialbaptist.org.