Director of Faith Formation and Youth
Gilbert Lutheran Church
135 School St.
Gilbert, IA 50105
Gilbert Lutheran Church
Gilbert Lutheran Church in Gilbert, Iowa is looking for a Director of Faith Formation. Gilbert is a small but growing community poised at the northern edge of Ames, Iowa. Ames is the home of Iowa State University and just a short drive from Des Moines, the
state capitol. Gilbert is a vibrant and growing community seeing particular expansion in our young families and youth.
In Christ: We Care, We Pray, We Serve.
General Purpose of Position:
To build disciples in Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to faith formation and youth ministry while serving as a spiritual leader and role model, in partnership with families, congregation, and community.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Director of Faith Formation and Youth will report to the Pastor and Congregational Council.
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns, and needs of youth and families in the local church and community.
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach
- Effectively communicate with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole using creative resources.
- Support and guide the work of the Youth Ministries (3-18 year olds) in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry program(s) while being involved in planning sessions.
- Develop and equip youth leaders for faith formation.
- Research resources for developing the youth ministry programming.
- Actively participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
- Coordinate the recruitment and training of volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure volunteer support and adequate adult to youth ratios.
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries.
- Oversee the development of age specific Sunday school curriculum and Vacation Bible School for children and youth, in partnership with Primary and Youth Ministries.
- Coordinate Confirmation classes in partnership with the Pastor and volunteers and provide leadership for confirmands, mentors, and parents beyond the classroom.
- Encourage youth to be service minded by providing them with opportunities for service to members and the larger community.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Make yourself available to youth by having community presence in a variety of ways (attendance at community and school events, visitation, and times of crisis)
- Establish and maintain a Child Protection Policy.
- Training or equivalent experience working with youth
- Work with the Director of Worship and Music and the Pastor to
- develop creative ways to involve youth through worship experiences
- meet the needs of congregation
- Coordinating regular service activities, mission trips, and social events with our high school youth program
- Regular attendance at Youth Functions
- Regular attendance at Worship Services
- Embrace Christian discipleship and Theologically compatible with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA).
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is minimum requirement. Professional Certification or extensive experience in Youth Ministry is desired.
- Effective communication, conflict management, and technology skills.
- An enthusiasm and interest in working as a team.
- Self-motivated and able to follow through with projects.
The Director of Faith Formation and Youth will be a full-time salaried position. Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation, pension, and continuing education funds. Salary will be in the range of $35,000 - $45,000 based on qualifications and experience.
Resumes must be submitted by July 13 for consideration. Thank you!