St James United Methodist Church – Ministry Action Plan Instructions
Position: Worship Leader (15 hours/week, up to $13200/year | $1100/month)
Staff Members Shared Expectations:
- Unswerving devotion to Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord lived out through active and growing discipleship including going in service, growing in discipleship, and gathering in celebration.
- Unswerving devotion to family, church, and other relationships that give you life.
- Excellence in what you do. This does not mean “perfection”, but do what you do “well”, and do it as a “team player”.
- Unswerving loyalty to all staff members (paid and volunteer) on the “team”—mutually supportive and accountable to one another.
- Unswerving loyalty to the pastor and his/her vision for the ministry of St James. This does not mean a lack of holding the pastor accountable (just the opposite), but as a team member, acknowledging that the pastor is the “coach” of the team.
Ministry Action Plan
1. Job Description
i. Serve the people of St James and the wider community as a spiritual leader
ii. Participate in the wider ministry of St James, including the Council on Ministry, which has the following purpose
1. Coordinate and communicate the ministries of the church within the mission, vision, goals, values, and boundaries set by the Single Board.
2. To support and to hold account all other areas of ministry through clear expectations, goals, assigned responsibilities, and supervision.
Cultivate Inspiring Worship
i. Given the vision and purpose of St James UMC and its overarching vision of worship, work with the pastor and other leaders to pursue inspiring worship.
ii. Work with Pastor, meeting at least every other week to review and prepare worship
iii. Actively participate in the worship design team modeling good communication and constructive and collaborative planning.
Provide leadership for our 9:00 "spirit" service
i. The worship leader will be the primary musician and speaker for the musical sections of the service
ii. Cultivate a team of leaders to assist in worship leadership, with the understanding that the worship leader should take off a Sunday at least one Sunday every other month.
iii. Provide leadership for Christmas Eve and Easter.
Invite, connect, equip, and sustain volunteers to grow worship.
i. Invite, connect, equip, and sustain lay leaders and volunteers, goal of 30 hours of recruited service per week by January 1, 2014
ii. Work with the pastor to prioritize the supervision and empowerment of worship ministries, including drama, visuals, audio/visual, music selection, discipleship, small group connections, Planning Center Online management, CCLI/Song Select management, and Media Shout preparation.
Prepare Worship Slides
i. Communicate with the Pastor, the Multimedia Coordinator and others to prepare the slides for all Sunday worship services
ii. Manage our Song Select reporting.
Develop New Worship Opportunities
i. In consultation with the Pastor and Other Leaders, begin the planning of new worship opportunities in and around St James.
Accountability and Support
i. Staff-Parish Liaison – meet once a month with the SPR liaison, who is your advocate, to share any joys or concerns
ii. Submit a celebration of ministry, reflecting on your Ministry Action Plan, three times a year: February, August, and November. The worship leader will submit these to the pastor and SPRC by the scheduled meeting of SPRC with the understanding that the information may be shared publicly throughout the church.
Estimated Time Allotment
i. Sunday morning – 3 hours
ii. Rehearsal – 3 hours
iii. Meeting with the Pastor – 1 hour
iv. Preparation – 4 hours
v. Volunteer recruitment, training, and equipping – 3 hours
vi. Participation in the wider church leadership – 1 hour
i. Staff Parish along with Pastor Ryan will evaluate job performance/ability to meet expectations set by Single Board at three, six, nine, and twelve months during the first year. Evaluation after the first year will be annually and as needed.
ii. The goal of the evaluation process is to address any issues/concerns that may arise and address them. Also, to give the Worship Leader feedback from the church members and Single Board in a positive manor.
2. Ministry within the Mission and Vision of the Church
Go in Service
Grow in Discipleship
Gather in Celebration
Support the Overall Mission and Leadership
3. How can the church support?
Date of MAP Covenant:
Signed by Staff Member:
Signed by Pastor:
Signed by SPRC Representative:
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship LeaderFirst United Methodist Church of Slidell
- Slidell, Louisiana
- December 2
Worship Leader/DirectorDetroit Church
- Midtown Detroit, Michigan
- December 2
Modern Service Worship Leader (231711)Private Profile
- USA South , Texas
- December 2
Worship PastorChurch of the Way
- Auburn, Georgia
- December 1
Worship Ministry DirectorArvada Church of God
- Arvada, Colorado
- December 1
St James United Methodist Church
Located in the Morningside neighborhood of Sioux City, we are a faith community seeking to make disciples of Jesus Christ, to transform the world, and to renew the Church. Our motto--"go in service, grow in discipleship, gather in celebration"--describes much of what we do inside and outside of our walls. More...