Create, develop, implement and oversee operation of all recreation ministries in a manner that fulfills The Woodlands United Methodist Church mission of “Win people to Jesus Christ, Disciple them in Faith and Help those in Need.” Areas of accountability include
effectiveness in ministry, program quality, customer satisfaction and fiscal management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Creation, development, implementation and oversight of all recreation programs for children, youth, adult and senior constituents with emphasis on team activities.
- Effectively reach the unchurched in our community while offering members of the church body an opportunity to grow in their walk with Christ.
- Market recreational ministry for growth in children, youth, adult and senior programs, providing new activities and opportunities and the highest level of excellence for participants.
- Develop and promote special events, league activities and summer camp programs.
- Coordinate, develop and promote and lead PE programs with and for The Woodlands United Methodist Schools.
- Develop programs in concert with other church outreach/evangelism efforts.
- Negotiate, review and renew contracts with outside groups such as Jazzercisze, Texas Boot Camp and Move Free.
- Manage all recreation programs and events.
- Recruit, train, support and provide leadership for Recreation Staff and volunteers for all areas of the recreation ministry.
- Coordinate the maintenance and safety of recreational facilities and equipment with church Facilities staff.
- Maintain and uphold all compliance and safety regulations, training and standards for the Recreation Ministry.
- Articulates overall vision for Recreation Ministry, forming yearly goals and strategies for maintaining and growing participation.
- Plan, submit and oversee an annual budget, both capital and operating expense, including fees associated with recreation programs.
A Strong Christian base. This person must have a spiritual grounding and theological alignment with the church’s mission. That is, recreation ministry is a means to an end; the focus is on Christ and the vehicle is recreation. This would manifest itself in
active small group ministry and community outreach with a servant’s heart.
Good organizational and marketing skills. This person must work within the context of the larger church, not only in mission but also facilities and budget. This person will recognize that recreation is a major platform for the church in the community. Enhancing
the role and image of The Woodlands UMC in both qualitative and quantitative ways is a key objective.
The Recreation Programs. They need to be high quality and touch all constituencies and age groups – children, youth, adult and seniors, male and female. Further, they should promote a holistic lifestyle encompassing spiritual, emotional, mental as well as physical
health and wellness. They should cover a wide range of group, team or individual activity and consider progressive programs beyond sporting events.
- An undergraduate (bachelor’s) degree is preferred, particularly in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Recreation or Christian Education.
- Experience in running recreation programs is preferred.
- Understanding of budget accountability.
- Excellent organizational skills, working knowledge of multiple program areas, and strong interpersonal skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to supervise staff and volunteers in various capacities.