This position, which will report to the senior pastor, will be responsible for overseeing Bethel’s ministries to children and teens. This will include, but not be limited to
• Recruiting, equipping, directing and empowering people from Bethel’s church body to staff—that is, to lead and serve—all aspects of these ministries.
• Reviewing, selecting and potentially designing or creating age-appropriate curriculum and programs for both children and students.
• Creating objectives for each level of the Christian educational process for children and students in concert with the senior pastor, elders and church body.
• Identifying “pathways” to assimilate children and students into the larger church body and regular church life, especially as it relates to service.
• Configuring an assessment system which would monitor and provide feedback from Bethel’s efforts in aiding children, teens and their families reach educational objectives.
• Having an active presence in teaching and administering curricula and programs.
• Planning and coordinating special children’s, student or family events, such as vacation Bible schools, family fun nights, or group field trips.
• Working with and serving parents to help them raise their children in the faith, by equipping them, and identifying and (at times) providing them with resources for the task.
The Director of Family Ministries position is a full-time, exempt position with medical and retirement benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. The position requires evening and weekend commitments.
The person prayerfully applying for this position should be a committed follower of Jesus who was baptized by immersion. This person will be in agreement with Bethel’s statement of beliefs in particular, and Baptist distinctives generally. The person’s life
will reflect the qualities of a church leader as identified in 1 Timothy 3:1-12 and Titus 1:6-9.
This person will have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (preferably with a major in an area of study related to education or Christian education in particular). This person will also have demonstrated the ability to teach, especially children and students,
and should have a love for kids generally. The person applying for this position does not need to be eligible for the role of pastor, but candidates who either have been ordained or are willing to seek ordination will be preferred.
Interested candidates should direct a cover letter and resume with references as PDF or RTF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Family Ministries” in the subject line. Those who would prefer not to email their materials can mail them to
Director of Family Ministries Search Committee, Bethel Baptist Church, 1691 Springport Road, Jackson, MI 49202. Please include the site where this listing was found in the cover letter.
Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis. The target date for hiring this position is Sept. 30, 2013.