PASTOR/DIRECTOR OF STUDENT MINISTRIES
The Pastor/Director of Student Ministries (P/DSM) shall guide the efforts of Stockton Covenant Church (StoCo) in creating a strong, vibrant junior high and high school student ministry. This is a full-time position that directs the junior high and high school ministries of StoCo while also maintaining connections with StoCo affiliated college students.
Character :: The P/DSM must be a committed growing follower of Christ and a spiritual leader.
Chemistry :: The P/DSM must be a team player and connect well with the community, congregation, staff, leaders, students and parents.
Competency :: The P/DSM must have a Bachelor degree from an accredited institution of higher education, a Master degree is preferable. The P/DSM must also have at least 3 years of experience in student ministries (church or parachurch) or a related field (teaching, counseling, etc.). Music/worship ministry experience is desired, but not required.
Connectional Diversity :: The P/DSM must be able to work with generational and cultural diversity. (Stockton is a diverse city and the neighborhood surrounding the church facility is over 40% second generation Hispanic/American).
The P/DSM must be a mature adult who can relate well with youth.
Characteristics :: The P/DSM must be teachable, joyful, highly relational, able to handle pressure, positive, capable of leading and growing a ministry, and able to train others.
Call :: The P/DSM must be able to communicate God’s invitation to participate in his redeeming and reconciling work through Jesus Christ. The P/DSM must be able to articulate a well constructed philosophy of youth ministry as well as an effective strategy for discipling students.
Student Christian Formation :: The P/DSM oversees the Christian Formation of StoCo’s students (7th-12th grades, college students).
Outreach & Families :: The P/DSM expands StoCo’s parish by ministering to youth and families new to our church community and in our extended parish.
Leadership :: The P/DSM partners with StoCo staff and other leaders while investing in the next generation of StoCo and Church leaders.
Missions/Global Partnerships :: The P/DSM exposes StoCo’s youth to God’s global work and invites the greater StoCo congregation to participate in global projects alongside the youth.
Key Duties Include
• Provide Sunday morning, midweek and special opportunities for youth to grow in Christ.
• Encourage worship as an essential part of spiritual growth.
• Apply spiritual rhythms (daily, weekly, annual, liturgical) to the life of students.
Outreach & Families
• Provide environments where youth are comfortable inviting their friends to be introduced to the Gospel.
• Strengthen families by providing youth of all spiritual levels skills for maturity.
• When necessary, provide youth specific ministry during all-church events.
• Visit youth events outside of church facility and programs (i.e. campus visits, extracurricular activities, awards ceremonies).
• Work closely with the rest of the StoCo staff.
• Encourage, equip and empower volunteers to serve in the youth ministries.
• Encourages, equips and empowers high school students to embrace and exercise leadership skills and gifts in specific settings.
• Cooperate with the Council Liaison to Global Partnerships to expose youth to God’s global work of the Kingdom.
• Create opportunities for youth to be involved in various missions activities: local, global, one-day, and/or short-term.
• Invite the larger StoCo congregation to participate in the above missions activities.
• Supervised by the Senior Pastor.
• Serves alongside the StoCo staff in developing church-wide activities and events.
• Cooperates with the Leadership Council (especially the Children/Youth Liaison, Christian Formation Liaison and Treasurer) in matters regarding budget and pursuing church goals.
• Maintains collegial relationships with other Covenant youth and student ministers.
Time Commitment :: 40 hours per week, broken into three categories
• StoCo Programming :: These are the Sunday and midweek hours invested in implementing StoCo’s student ministries program. This is estimated at six (6) hours per week.
• Office hours :: These are scheduled, consistent, posted office hours that are observed. Office hours are times when the P/DSM is a) on the 1720 Oxford campus, and b) available to connect with congregation members, staff and parents. Total office hours for this position are estimated at seventeen (17) hours per week.
• Flexible hours :: These are unscheduled hours in which the employee is not expected to be in any specific location or work any specific hours. Flex time may be spent in meetings offsite, gathering supplies, working from home, visiting students’/families’ activities, pre-planning and preparation for major events, etc. Total flex hours for this position are estimated at seventeen (17) hours per week.
Notes about Stockton Covenant Church
For More Information
• www.stocktoncov.org - church website
• www.covchurch.org - denomination website
• www.pswc.org - region website
• A member congregation of the Evangelical Covenant Church
• Founded in 1915.
• In its current location since 1948
• In 2010, StoCo unanimously called Bud Locke, a pastor with over 20 years of international church planting and leadership development experience, to serve as Senior Pastor.
• StoCo desires to: Be disciples. Make disciples. Everywhere.
• StoCo has always maintained an emphasis on global missions.
• StoCo is committing to a “re-planting” mission that is expanding its outward focus to the surrounding neighborhood.
• StoCo seeks to be a community where disciples and seekers can grow deeper in Christ by practicing daily, weekly and annual spiritual rhythms.
Please submit a cover letter of introduction and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Youth PastorGeorgetown Bible Church
- Hudsonville, Michigan
- January 18
Youth Pastor / DirectorWarren Community Fellowship
- Warren, Oregon
- January 18
Associate/Family PastorNew Life Community Church
- Irmo, South Carolina
- January 18
Director of Student MinistriesDaniel Island Fellowship
- Charleston, South Carolina
- January 18
StudentLife PastorFirst Christian Church - Canton
- North Canton, Ohio
- January 18