PASTOR/DIRECTOR OF FAMILY MINISTRIES
One of the core values of Stockton Covenant Church (StoCo) is “vibrant children and youth ministries”. In the pursuit of this value, StoCo is investing in a Pastor/Director of Family Ministries (P/DFM) leadership that will mobilize our congregation in support of growing children (0-6th grade) into spiritual champions and strengthening the families in our congregation and surrounding community.
Character :: The P/DFM must be a committed growing follower of Christ and a spiritual leader.
Chemistry :: The P/DFM must be a team player and connect well with the community, congregation, staff, leaders, children and parents.
Competency :: The P/DFM must have a Bachelor degree from an accredited institution of higher education, a Master degree is preferable. The P/DFM must also have at least 3 years of experience in family ministries (church or parachurch) or a related field (teaching, counseling, etc.). Counseling experience and education is highly desired.
Connectional Diversity :: The P/DFM must be able to work with generational and cultural diversity. (Stockton is a diverse city and the neighborhood surrounding the church facility is over 40% second generation Hispanic/American).
The P/DSM should have a familiarity with the various stages of child development.
Characteristics :: The P/DFM must be teachable, highly organized, joyful, able to handle pressure, positive, capable of leading and growing a ministry, and able to train others.
Call :: The P/DFM must be able to communicate God’s invitation to participate in his redeeming and reconciling work through Jesus Christ. The P/DSM must be able to articulate a well constructed philosophy of children’s/family ministry as well as an effective strategy in the Christian formational ministry of children.
Children’s Christian Formation :: The Pastor of Family Ministries (PoFM) oversees the Christian Formation of StoCo’s children.
Leadership :: The PoFM partners with StoCo staff and other leaders while making a significant investment in the many volunteers involved with children’s programs and Christian Formation.
Communication & Administration :: The PoFM connects parents, volunteers and the StoCo congregation with Family Ministries through concise, consistent communication.
Strengthening Marriages, Parents & Families :: The PoFM advises, counsels and instructs parents to strengthen marriages, parenting skills and the discipleship of children.
Key Duties Include
Children’s Christian Formation
• Oversee StoCo’s Sunday, midweek and special opportunities for children to grow in Christ in wisdom and stature.
• Create a ministry environment where new families and children are embraced and excited to participate.
• Cooperate with the Director of Worship Ministry to emphasize the role of community worship in the Christian formation of children.
• Apply spiritual rhythms (daily, weekly, annual, liturgical) to the life of children in order to create wonder, discovery and passion.
• Work closely with the rest of the StoCo staff, participating in staff meetings and activities.
• Develop a close team of “Lead Volunteers” that help shape and implement the various age groups (nursery, preschool, early elementary, secondary elementary).
• In conjunction with the Lead Volunteers, recruit, encourage, equip and empower volunteers to serve in the children’s ministries.
• Under the leadership of the Senior Pastor, perform sacerdotal and pastoral duties at StoCo.
• Seek opportunities to develop skills and grow professionally as a pastor.
Communication & Administration
• Assure that curriculum is prepared and distributed to teachers, resource room is stocked with necessary supplies, and classrooms are clean, safe and prepared for the various programs.
• Communicate with parents regularly – through parent meetings, phone calls, emails, newsletters and/or fliers – sharing updates on ministry and practical tips on growing spiritually mature children.
• Communicate and cooperate with the Office Administrator in matters of calendar, facility usage, bulletin announcements, etc.
• Regularly communicate the work of God within family ministries and recruit people to get involved.
Strengthening Marriages, Parents & Families
• Develop opportunities (classes, seminars, small groups, and/or retreats) to encourage, equip and empower couples to strengthen their marriages and parents to hone their skills as the primary disciplers of their children.
• Provide pastoral counseling and necessary therapeutic referrals to couples and families in crisis.
• Supervised by the Senior Pastor.
• Serves alongside the StoCo staff in developing church-wide activities and events.
• Cooperates with the Leadership Council (especially the Children/Youth Liaison, Christian Formation Liaison and Treasurer) in matters regarding budget and pursuing church goals.
• Maintains collegial relationships with other Covenant children and family ministers.
Time Commitment :: 40 hours per week, broken into three categories
• StoCo Programming :: These are the Sunday and midweek hours invested in implementing StoCo’s children program. This is estimated at six (6) hours per week.
• Office hours :: These are scheduled, regular office hours that are observed. Office hours are times when the PoFM is a) on the 1720 Oxford campus, and b) available to connect with congregation members, staff and parents. Total office hours for this position are estimated at seventeen (18) hours per week.
• Flexible hours :: These are unscheduled hours in which the employee is not expected to be in any specific location or work any specific hours. Flex time may be spent in meetings offsite, gathering supplies, working from home, visiting kids’/families’ activities, pre-planning and preparation for major events, etc. Total flex hours for this position are estimated at seventeen (16) hours per week.
Notes about Stockton Covenant Church
For More Information
• www.stocktoncov.org - church website
• www.covchurch.org - denomination website
• www.pswc.org - region website
• A member congregation of the Evangelical Covenant Church
• Founded in 1915.
• In its current location since 1948
• In 2010, StoCo unanimously called Bud Locke, a pastor with over 20 years of international church planting and leadership development experience, to serve as Senior Pastor.
• StoCo desires to: Be disciples. Make disciples. Everywhere.
• StoCo has always maintained an emphasis on global missions.
• StoCo is committing to a “re-planting” mission that is expanding its outward focus to the surrounding neighborhood.
• StoCo seeks to be a community where disciples and seekers can grow deeper in Christ by practicing daily, weekly and annual spiritual rhythms.
Please submit a cover letter of introduction and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Children's MinistriesCommunity Presbyterian Church
- Danville, California
- October 26
Campus Children's PastorThe Crossing
- Chesterfield, Missouri
- October 26
Children's Ministry DirectorCrossroads Church
- Douglasville, Georgia
- October 26
Children's Ministry Director (171702)The Shepherd's Staff
- USA Midwest , Wisconsin
- October 26
Children's Pastor (232310)The Shepherd's Staff
- USA Southeast, Georgia
- October 26