The Public Relations Volunteer/Intern Manager will work to impact every segment of society with relevant stories of transformation by recruiting and coordinating volunteers and interns to export stories of changed lives. This individual will support and
coordinate the public relations programs designed to create and maintain a favorable public image for the Rock Church and affiliates, leveraging both social and traditional media in campaign execution, while strongly promoting Rock brands to increase top of
mind awareness. This position reports directly to the Public Relations Manager.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Media Inquiries: Coordinate volunteers/interns to support incoming media/public relations requests
- Speaking Engagements: Support press opportunities related to speaking engagements
- Distribution: Maintain/update Rock Church media distribution list (local and national)
- Reports: Gather volunteer/intern hours for monthly report and pulse points
- Maintain and update PR archives and the volunteer/interns work.
- Volunteer Coordination: Recruit, train and work with volunteers and interns available through Rock resources including processing paperwork, following up with potential volunteers/interns, and encouraging volunteer team.
- Video/Photo: Coordinate and schedule video and photo volunteers for selected media opportunities and events
- Events: Coordinate volunteers/interns to ensure that all major events are distributed to calendar event listings to local and national media and social media
- Releases: Coordinate volunteers to write press releases and media advisories as needed/requested and upload them to newswires
- Planning and Development: Support and coordinate press opportunities related to church and ministry events, Develop and pitch Rock related stories for local and national media, Develop and execute plan to target various markets (San Diego, National, International,
African American, Youth) and others as requested, Work with Marketing and Creative Services department
- Interviews: Support Rock PR team on media interview prep for Rock representatives, Attend media bookings and advise Rock personnel as needed, Act as Rock spokesperson when requested
- Help key media/influencers develop a keen understanding and appreciation for our core messages
- Research: Research speaking/recruiting opportunities for Rock PR team
The above summary of duties represents the major tasks and duties. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Therefore, the individual may perform other related tasks under the direction of the Marketing Director.
Job Skills and Requirements
- Christ-centered behavior (treating people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity at all times).
- BA degree in Communication, Journalism, Business or English is preferred but not required.
- 3-5 years PR agency/in-house experience.
- Extensive knowledge of how to engage and mobilize the public through social media like blogs, wikis and discussion groups.
- Strong expertise among traditional media relations skills/relationships.
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to complete projects with tight/short deadlines.
- Ability to take the initiative in researching, proposing, and championing new and better ways of communicating messages and brand value.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and be able to work well with all levels of the church management and congregation.
- Pleasant, professional personality and appearance
- Strong organization, delegation, and communication skills
- Self-motivated and flexible in nature to handle other duties and special projects as needed.
- Experienced in conflict resolution, ability to think clearly under pressure.
- Ability to work independently or in a team-oriented environment.
- Christ-centered behavior at all times. i.e. treating people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity.
- For all grievances, follow Matthew 18 and Ephesians 4:15.
- Proactive participation in the Rock Governance system.
- Successful completion of both a background and reference check.
- Pleasant and professional personality and appearance.
- Regular attendee of a Rock Sunday service.
- Regular involvement in Rock Church activities, ministries and events.
- Attendance at all mandatory meetings and events as needed. This includes serving at Good Friday, Easter and Christmas services as well as the annual volunteer appreciation event.
- A tithe of 10% to the Rock Church.
- Signed acknowledgement of the Rock Church Statement of Faith.
- Adheres to policies and procedures as stated in the Rock Church Employee Handbook.
Ability to function independently and ability to speak. Physically able to lift up to 25 lbs (with or without assistance). This position also may require long periods of standing up and walking.
All employees of The Rock Church are at-will, and as such, are free to resign any time without reason. The Rock Church likewise, retains the right to terminate an employee’s employment at any time with or without reason or notice.
Nothing contained in this job description or any other document provided to the employee is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Any salary figures provided to an
employee in annual or monthly terms are stated for the sake of convenience or to facilitate comparisons that are not intended and do not create an employment contract for any specific period of time.
No manager, supervisor or employee of the Rock Church has any authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make any agreement for employment other than at-will.