The Student Ministries Pastor is responsible for all aspects of ensuring the spiritual growth and development of students grades 6 through 12. This includes leadership of weekly programs and periodic special events for students (conferences, trips, and
General Expectations (Qualifications):
- Pursuing a passion for God and his Word.
- A member of First Missionary Church.
- Licensed pastor of Missionary Church, Inc.
- Bachelors degree in relevant field of study.
- Aligns and filters all ministry through the purpose and process of FMC for creating disciples of Jesus Christ.
- Displays Christian leadership by using credibility and capabilities to influence followers to pursue God’s direction for their lives.
- Displays foundational spiritual qualities such as integrity, faithfulness, purity, compassion, submission, discernment and grace.
- Ability to effectively communicate Scripture in relevant environments.
- Ability to proactively and immediately handle small problems before they grow large.
- High level of competency in current technologies, social media, etc. relevant to students.
- Available on site for staff/congregational interaction and working together as a team. Work time to be performed on the FMC campus as well as ministry to students and the community as needed (i.e. school visits, one-on-one meetings, student events, etc).
There is an expectation to connect with students on their time schedule.
- Displays accountability to Lead Pastor, Staff, and Elders of FMC.
- Actively promote unity between, and support for, various FMC ministries and leaders.
Essential job functions:
- Lead a team of volunteer staff in the creation and operation of a student ministry, including weekly services and routine special events.
- Direct the recruitment, training, and development of volunteers as needed to staff weekly programs and ministry as well as special events.
- Responsible for biblically accurate, culturally relevant, and high-energy teaching of students.
- Create and manage a student ministry calendar that will drive all activities and teaching of the ministry.
- Identify, develop and disciple student leaders.
- Design, plan, and conduct periodic parent meetings in order to meet the needs and expectations of families attending FMC.
- Develop an annual budget for student ministries and manage spending to budget that displays fiscal responsibility and godly stewardship.
- Track attendance of students at weekly programming for reporting to FMC office staff as well as for observing changing trends in individual students.
- Provide students with meaningful opportunities for serving, missions, and outreach. These opportunities are to provide both service to the community/community and spiritual growth for students.
- Strategically integrate students into the life of the greater church body. This will simultaneously expose students to “adult church” and provide positive student visibility to our congregation.
- Stay current on the most effective techniques and best practices for student ministry. Including, but not limited to, developing relationships with other area youth pastors.
- Plan, propose, and develop inclusive student worship and teaching environments that creatively reach diverse groups of individuals within the church and the community.
- Work with Lead Pastor to refine a student ministry philosophy that is consistent with the purpose and ministry process of FMC.
- Ensure personal background and reference checks are performed on participating volunteer leadership prior to ministry/program involvement.
- Establish short and long term goals for ministry area. Effectively communicate those goals and implement strategy for their fulfillment.
- Carefully develop, communicate and maintain appropriate boundaries in student and leader relationships.
- Participate and communicate with other youth pastors in our immediate area for community awareness and involvement.
- Maintains effective communication with all FMC staff and volunteer leaders, as necessary, to ensure coordination and exchange of information for accomplishing FMC goals.
- Full ministry oversight of college age ministries and events.
- Attends staff meetings, retreats, and other church functions as directed.
- Function as a member of FMC’s pastor staff performing baptism services, weddings, funerals, etc. as requested by the lead pastor.
- Perform other duties as assigned with demonstrated flexibility in scheduling and job assignment.
- Be knowledgeable of the FMC Staff Policy Manual for procedures and record keeping of all expectations and benefits of pastoral staff.