Sunset Presbyterian Church is a community of people, connected to each other and committed to loving our world through faith in Jesus Christ, who are experiencing the life-changing power of that faith, who are expressing Christ’s love through serving, and who are actively reproducing these values through mentoring and investing in others. The Director of High School and College Ministry must be committed to Jesus Christ and the work Christ is doing at Sunset Presbyterian Church (SPC) and be in agreement with these Values. The person in this position is expected to have spiritual integrity as well as loyalty and commitment to the staff and congregation of Sunset Presbyterian Church.
The Director of High School and College Ministries supports the greater vision of the church by leading ministry aimed at high school and college aged students. The position is primarily responsible for the recruitment, training and development of volunteers, the development of programming for large group time, and the discipleship of students through small groups.
- Initiates the development of and clearly articulates the vision of the High School and College Ministries.
- Collaborates with the Lead Pastor of Administration and the Lead Pastor of Spiritual Formation to ensure the integration of the vision of High School and College Ministries with that of the church at large.
- Regularly interacts with the Director of Middle School Ministries and the Director of Elementary Children’s Ministries in order to create a comprehensive approach to the spiritual development of children and youth at Sunset.
- Regularly utilizes local and/or national networking and resources to keep abreast of current trends and best practices for High School and College Ministries, and communicates those to staff and volunteer leadership.
- Oversees the implementation of Sunset’s vision as it relates to high school and college aged students (ages 15-24).
- Responsible for the recruitment, training and development of all volunteers in High School and College Ministries.
- Leads the implementation of High School and College programs primarily through the equipping of volunteer leaders.
- Provides regular encouragement, coaching and feedback to volunteers.
- Understands and promotes Sunset’s vision of volunteerism as a step in a person’s spiritual formation rather than only filling needs.
High School and College Programming
- Oversees the development of an overall environment that engages students in an exciting and interactive program. This program must serve to reach students for Christ and draw them into a deeper relationship with Jesus and not be aimed at simply entertainment driven programming.
- Leads the development of large group programming that engages students in an age appropriate and exciting environment that fosters their spiritual formation.
- Leads the development of small group programming that promotes both the education of spiritual truth and the creation of meaningful relationship between adult volunteers and students.
- Teaches spiritual truth to groups of students in an engaging, meaningful and practical manner.
- Oversee the volunteer staffing of adequate and appropriate check-in, security, and emergency management procedures in accordance with the policies of Sunset.
- Develop an approach to training parents on how to more effectively spiritually mentor their students, recognizing that most spiritual formation occurs in the home instead of at church.
- Develop ongoing relationships, to the extent possible, with parents of students in the ministry.
- Plan and implement special events aimed at connecting students and families to the church at least quarterly. (currently these include a winter camp, summer camp and summer missions project)
- Contribute to the vision of the church by collaborating on other teams as requested by the Lead Pastor of Administration.
SCOPE OF POSITION
Job responsibilities are carried out in a work environment that consists of both new and recurring work situations. The position involves a degree of complexity in that it regularly interacts with students and parents/caretakers as well as in a leadership role with both volunteers and paid staff. While the Director of High School and College Ministry must be able to operate as both an administrative team leader and a team player, a high degree of independence is also required in performance and decision-making.
The Director of High School and College Ministry also oversees the recruitment, training and work of as many as 40+ volunteer teachers, small group leaders, worship leaders, security team, greeting/check in team, and tech team.
The Director of High School and College Ministry has frequent internal contacts with volunteers, students and parents/caretakers, as well as with other staff members. (the position works directly with a part-time Student Ministry Worship Leader, a part-time Administrative Assistant, and the Director of Junior High Ministry) The position has a moderate amount of internal contact with other staff, Session members, non-staff ministry leaders and congregants. Secondary contacts include outside vendors, facility renters and the general public.
The job is normally performed in an office environment and/or on the campus of the church. The position includes some periods of close computer work. The Director of High School and College Ministry may occasionally be required to work in excess of eight hours per day or forty hours per week. Normal work week is flexible, however Sunday morning hours (approx. 8:00am through 1:00pm) are required. Travel requirements are very minimal and negotiable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Passion for High School and College Ministry
- Passion for Volunteer Equipping
- Demonstrated skill as a team builder who models, trains and inspires volunteers to do the work of ministry
- Demonstrated skill in developing and implementing a vision
- Work history with a church or ministry is preferred
- Spiritual gifts of leadership, teaching and evangelism
- Strong Organizational skills
- Leadership skills, including ability to motivate and hold employees and volunteers accountable
- Ability to work well in stressful situations
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Three to five years experience working in a church or ministry environment with demonstrated ability to oversee and motivate both staff and volunteers. Previous High School and/or College Ministry experience is preferred. Strong volunteer management experience may be substituted for church or ministry experience.
- Diligently seeks a vital and growing personal relationship with the Lord, is a student of the Scriptures and a person of prayer
- Has a demonstrated passion for ministering to students and their parents.
- Seeks accountability with pastoral staff as well as others who will work with him/her to protect and preserve character, integrity and personal walk with God
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Pastor of High School MinistryThe Bridge Bible Church
- Bakersfield, California
- October 27
Associate Pastor - Massapequa CampusCenterPoint Church
- Massapequa, New York
- October 27
Worship and Associate PastorPataskala Grace Church
- Pataskala, Ohio
- October 26
Student Ministry PastorHighlands Church
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- October 25
Student Ministries DirectorDayspring Church
- Auburn, Indiana
- October 25
Sunset Presbyterian Church
Sunset Presbyterian Church is a member of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. We have a heart for the people of Sunset and this community. At Sunset, we strive to help people connect to Jesus through relevance, discipleship and authenticity. More...