Position Title: Director of Student Ministries
Reports to: Director of Ministries
Employment Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Date Prepared/Revised: 1.15.13
The Director of Student Ministry’s primary function is to make disciples of Jesus Christ in Student Ministry. He/She will also be responsible for planning, administering, coordinating, supervising and evaluating a comprehensive and active Student Ministry
(grades 6-12) of all Christ United Methodist Church campuses to fulfill that mission.
Specific List of Responsibilities
- Evaluate all programs to ensure the implementation of the mission and vision of Christ Church within all areas of Student Ministries with excellence.
- Build relationships with senior/junior high students that will help them become men and women of God.
- To provide Bible study for senior/junior high students during the Sunday morning time. This would include planning for space, approval of curriculum and other resources to be used and the recruitment and training of Bible Study teachers and leaders.
- Collaborate with the Director of Early Childhood Ministries, Director of Elementary Ministries, Coordinator of Special Needs Ministries and Director of Ministries on events for partnering with parents and families with children.
- In collaboration with the Coordinator of Special Needs Ministries, ensure that recommended resources are available for children with special needs and schedule trainings at least yearly for those volunteering in the Buddy System.
- Recruit, train and equip all volunteers. Assure that all volunteers have completed the volunteer qualification process in its entirety (including the observation/interview process, volunteer application, background check, orientation, safe sanctuary training,
and other necessary training events).
- Assess the effectiveness and success of enforced polices and procedures within Student Ministries, including volunteer policies and Safe Sanctuary policies.
- Be available during Sunday services to supervise Student Ministry areas, as needed, and to meet and greet new families.
- To provide Youth Group weeknight experiences. To plan and provide activities and outing for students to meet their social need.
- Coordinate and support the Pastor of Worship Arts in planning, staffing and coordinating musical integration of the Senior/Junior High Department with the overall music ministry of the church, including choirs, ensembles, instrumental groups, etc.
- Plan and coordinate some annual trips, such as, Dare2Share, Summer Mission Trip, snow skiing, Six Flags, Church Camp, etc.
- Advise in the use of program materials, equipment, supplies, and space by students in all church program organizations.
- To make calls on students when they are in a hospital or in another primary moment of their lives. Outreach to new students through home calls and campus contacts (such as at school lunch or after school contacts).
- Work with program leaders and teachers and appropriate staff members to resolve philosophical, procedural, and scheduling problems in the children and student division.
- In consultation with the Director Ministries, prepare an annual budget.
- Supervise all employees associated with student ministry.
Other General Responsibilities
- Cooperate with the Senior Pastor, Director of Ministries, Lay Leaders and
other staff members in promoting the mission of Christ Church.
- Be available for counseling of Christ Church students; and/or refer to appropriate counseling as needed.
- Assist Volunteer Coordinator in recruiting and enlisting needed workers for
- Utilize the services of the administrative assistant and facilities staff consistent with their position descriptions.
- Supply articles on a periodic basis for use in Christ Church publications (E-News, The flame, student brochures, etc) relating to Student Ministries.
- Give full support to the General Operating Budget of Christ United
Methodist Church and avoid soliciting or expending funds not previously
- Adhere to church approved guidelines as set forth in Christ United
Methodist Church’s Bylaws and Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor and Director of Ministries.
Basic Personal Responsibilities
- Exemplify the Worship plus 2 and a Tithe standard of Christ Church.
- Maintain a vital and growing personal walk with the Lord through
committed Bible study, prayer and meditation.
- Maintain proper priorities in your home and be a spiritual leader to your
spouse (if married) and children (if a parent).
- Develop personal evangelism opportunities within and outside the
- Financially support the work of ministries of Christ United Methodist
Church by faithfully giving as least 10% of your gross income.
Maintain wise stewardship measures over the remaining 90%.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: Three or more years experience with working with and ministering to Jr. and Sr. High students at a church of 400 or more.
Required Skills: Teaching/coaching skills, strong biblical background organizational and management skills.
Benefits: Cell Phone Allowance; Health Insurance Contribution; Retirement Match up to 4%