Director of Christian Education
Purpose: To assist the minister and other officials of South Roanoke United Methodist Church by developing and leading an educational ministry which provides the church body with opportunities to begin their journeys in faith through Christian Education
on Sunday Mornings.
Essential Developmental Duties
- Coordinate Sunday School (ages preschool through Senior Adults) with assistance from education volunteers.
- Develop and implement an education program to meet the needs of our church membership.
- Be present on Sunday mornings (8:45am until 11:45am) to lead gathering time for children and assist in coverage as needed.
- Provide appropriate curriculum, resources and supplies for all classes.
- Recruit, train, support and supervise teachers and education volunteers.
- Provide clear job descriptions and expectations for volunteers.
- Assist teachers and volunteers in implementing a child-friendly environment in classrooms and hallways.
- Notify parents of programs and events on a regular basis through appropriate church communication channels.
- Maintain attendance records and use them for follow-up contact of children who are not attending regularly.
- Maintain, update and organize the resource room.
- Gather supplies and equipment for teachers as needed.
- Help build enthusiasm and community among our children and their parents. Show thanks and appreciation to volunteers.
Vacation Bible School
- Serve as Director or recruit Director.
- Recruit teachers and volunteers
- Assist in choosing curriculum and programs.
- Assist in scheduling and organizing classes and related events.
- Supervise paid staff and nursery volunteers with assistance of other church volunteers.
- Supervise paid staff in Children’s Church.
- Assist with weekly Children’s Church worship time as needed.
- Meet with the Youth Minister regularly to discuss Sunday morning needs & curriculum development.
Minimum Qualifications Required
One to three years related experience; knowledge of educational curricula and related administrative best practices; ability to handle requests with minimal lead times from members of the congregation; proficient writing, interpersonal and analytical skills,
plus a good working knowledge of PC’s and office equipment; knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing software including Microsoft Office; friendly, outgoing personality; ability to work in unsupervised environment; ability to maintain confidentiality of
all personal and financial information as necessary and appropriate.