The associate pastor with primary emphasis in worship and the arts will provide dynamic leadership and oversight to the worship ministry of Alma First Church of God in a manner that helps congregants worship faithfully and equips them to join their lives
to God’s love for the world.
- Coordinate and oversee the worship ministries of Alma First Church of God.
- Develop and communicate a vision for worship and the arts.
- Design and lead inspiring and faithful worship services.
- Coordinate and facilitate the worship ministry team in a creative process of worship planning.
- Recruit, train, supervise and support the volunteers who contribute to all aspects of the worship ministries.
- Develop and supervise ministry teams (musicians, technicians, etc.)within the worship ministries.
- Direct the congregation’s choir
- Provide good stewardship of the worship resources (budget, musical instruments, computer and sound equipment, etc.)
- Build and resource libraries for music and visual arts.
- Participate helpfully in meetings of the pastoral staff and church council.
- Provide pastoral care as directed by the senior pastor.
- Fill other responsibilities as directed by the senior pastor.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music, Worship or Christian Ministries (or equivalent)
- Demonstrated leadership in worship
- Able to move freely in and around the three buildings of our campus.
- Able to speak and lead worship in a public setting.
Attention to Detail:
Consistently attends to the many small pieces which must be assembled into an organized whole; follows up on missing or out of balance items; resolves unanswered questions needed to address a problem; keeps the larger picture in mind while tending to the
Creativity and Innovation:
Generates new ideas; makes new connections among existing ideas and fresh approaches; takes acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation; demonstrates the ability to work with group processes and encourage ‘brainstorming’ activities; has good judgment about
which creative ideas and suggestions will work.
Clearly and comfortably delegates both routine and important tasks and decisions; appropriately shares authority and responsibility; creates accountability; sets objectives and measures, monitors process, progress and results; trusts people to perform their
Works hard to establish good working relationships with co-workers, volunteers and members of the congregation; demonstrates the ministry of pastoral presence; contributes to the sense of community on the leadership teams on which he/she serves and in the
congregation as a whole; expresses his/her perspective well and remains open and connected to those with differing perspectives; avoids communication triangles.
Demonstrates a good understanding of music theory and its application to congregational worship; has the ability to gain a working knowledge of the musical heritage of the Church of God; demonstrates the ability to lead, direct and teach other musicians;
has a discerning ear for musical talent; demonstrates a good understanding of music styles that are used in a broad array of churches.
Personal and Professional Development:
Maintains an ongoing and rigorous commitment to personal and professional growth; takes advantage of opportunities to continue his/her growth as a leader; is committed to continuing education and life-long learning.
Shows strong spiritual depth and grounding; evidences continual spiritual growth; seeks the wisdom and guidance of Scripture; understands and practices spiritual disciplines appropriate to his/her temperament; is able to articulate a clear and consistent
Acquires and demonstrates the technical skills required to proficiently execute the essential functions of the job; understands which skills are lacking and seeks to develop those skills.
Is able and willing to focus time on tasks that contribute to organizational goals; Uses time effectively and efficiently; values time and respects the time of others; concentrates efforts on the most important priorities.
Recruits gifted volunteers to work in their areas of giftedness and passion in the service of the congregation’s mission; provides direction, gains commitment, facilitates change and achieves results through efficient, creative and responsible deployment
of volunteers; provides effective direction, support, encouragement and accountability for volunteers.
Designs and leads relevant and inspiring worship; combines elements of theology, music and art to help worshippers open their hearts and minds to God; crafts worship that is sensitive to themes and seasons; demonstrates a good understanding and creative
practice of the ordinances of the Church of God.
View Details on the Alma Church of God website: http://almacog.org/about-us/worship-pastor-search
Download the Job Description: http://almacog.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Worship-and-the-Arts.pdf