Job Title: Pastor of Group Life
Direct Report: Campus Pastor
Position Status: Full-time
Sun Valley Community Church began in 1990 as a church plant in Chandler, Arizona. At present, Sun Valley has three campuses located in Gilbert, Tempe and Casa Grande with a total weekend attendance of 5,000. The Tempe campus was the result of a merger
in October 2011 with Bethany Community Church. In the merger, Sun Valley acquired a 16.5-acre, 8-building campus with over 100,000 sq. ft. under roof. The present campus attendance is about 1,000, but when fully utilized, the campus capacity will accommodate
Summary of Position:
The Group Life Pastor provides leadership and spiritual shepherding for Sun Valley’s GROW ministries (Starting Point, Foundations, Small Groups, Sunday morning medium sized groups, women, etc.). At Sun Valley we believe that life change happens best in
circles, not rows, therefore Group Life is at the very center of everything we do. The Group Life Pastor has the full support of the Lead Pastors from the stage, as well as in participation in groups. The emphasis on groups at the Tempe campus just began
one year ago, so there is much work to be done. The Group Life Pastor must recruit and train leaders, implement a quickly expandable infrastructure, lead by example and cultivate a positive spirit throughout the church family. This leader should represent
Christ and His church well in the community at large, be a team player and follow the biblical model of sacrifice by being willing to put the needs of others first. In all actions, this person should be positive and supportive of the Core Values and Vision
of Sun Valley.
The Preferred Candidate will have:
- Experience leading groups, as well as building and sustaining systems that facilitate over 100 groups.
- Strengths in the following areas: leadership, strategy, development, teaching, as well as strong relational abilities and a proven track record of demonstrating these strengths in ministry settings.
- Self-motivation, not needing micromanagement, yet loves to live life with a team.
- Full-time experience working in a church of over 1,500.
- Ability to align with the vision, values and doctrinal statement of Sun Valley Community Church.
- Lead and develop Coaches who, in turn, lead and develop Small Group Leaders.
- Move people from GROW (groups) to SERVE (ministry) and GO (outreach lifestyle).
- Implement a sermon-based philosophy of groups.
- Oversee all GROW ministries helping them to work toward the same goal.
- Develop systems for groups that work in a multi-site model.
- Live what they teach and live life in a group.
Review: Participate in annual job performance reviews and evaluations.
*Interested parties should email their resume to Carri Laufle at firstname.lastname@example.org.