Metro is an 8 year old urban, multiethnic and multi-generational church in Englewood, NJ. We strive to be an incarnational presence in a fast changing postmodern and post church culture. Our purpose is very simple: to bring life transformation in people’s
relationships with God, people, and the culture. More information can be found at www.emetro.org.
Metro Pastors’ leadership entails responsibilities that require gifts and experience in numerous areas. In addition to the duties listed below, the Spiritual Formation Pastor’s primary responsibility is to grow and serve as a pastor to the body of Christ
at Metro. Pastors are strongly encouraged to meet, pray, encourage and provide pastoral care and spiritual mentorship/discipleship to members of the Metro body.
Reporting: Works alongside and is accountable to the Lead Pastor.
The Pastor of Spiritual Formation/Teaching Pastor duties shall include:
Spiritual Formation Strategy:
- Develop an overall church spiritual formation strategy that aligns with the needs of the church and community and encompasses the overall spiritual health, growth and development accounting for various ministries, growth stages, and affinity groups.
- Create a sustained learning culture of increased spiritual quality that challenges people to grow through the teaching, coaching, nurturing, caring, thirst for the knowledge of God through His Word, instilling spiritual disciplines leading to the bearing
of fruit evident in the maturity, service, and life transformation of the members, marriages, families, outreach, etc. of the church.
- Develop high performance teams and an operational plan that can support the overall spiritual formation strategy
Small Groups (Underground Groups)
- Continuing to develop the language, vision, theology and structure for small groups at Metro Church. There are currently about 15 small groups.
- Empower, develop, mentor, train and equip leaders and potential leaders.
- Think of creative ways where the majority of the church community can be a part of a small group.
- Constantly has to think strategically about multiplying groups each semester.
Spiritual Formation Classes
- Continuing to develop the language, vision, theology, and structure for ongoing classes to help our congregation grow from spiritual infancy to maturity.
- Empower, develop, and equip leaders and teachers for the spiritual formation classes.
- Help plan spiritual formation classes and other spiritual formation experiences.
- Must be a strong and effective communicator that can preach 12-15 times a year.
- Help develop the preaching calendar with the preaching team.
Provide Leadership for Major Community Formation Events
- Organize annual summer church-wide retreat
- Organize and lead silent retreats three to four times a year.
Requirements: (please apply only if you possess the following:)
- Proven leadership experience and can demonstrate success in recruiting and developing high performance teams
- Created and implemented a spiritual formation/education program with success
- Highly driven self-starter who thrives in a multi-ethnic and socio-economically diverse church and community environment
- Operations/administrative management and process experience with being able to align the overall church operations to support spiritual formation
- Must demonstrate a contemplative lifestyle
- Displays a contagious passion for God’s word and His people
- Teachable and open to change
- Excellent public communicator
- Proven ability to organize theoretical ideas into actionable processes
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent with organizational skills.
- Corporate and business consulting experience a plus
- Seminary degree preferred
- Church ministry experience, specifically in spiritual formation for a minimum of five years required.
- Leadership, experience working with and leading large teams.
- Exceptional Biblical proficiency.
Hours, Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation: $50K-70K (depending on experience)
- Health Benefits
- Pension Benefits
- Other Benefits: attendance at conferences and retreats and book fund
Please email cover letter, resume and at least three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Metro Community Church
291 S. Van Brunt Street, Unit 4
Englewood, NJ 07631