This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Executive Pastor (but will use title of Operations Pastor)
Carlisle Evangelical Free Church
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 04/24/2009
Categories: Executive Pastor
Denominations: Evangelical Free
Church Size: 501 to 750
Job Type: Full-Time
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Reporting to the Senior Pastor, the Operations Pastor will have chief responsibility for the financial, physical and organizational health of Carlisle Evangelical Free Church. The person in this role will be a strategic ministry partner with the Senior Pastor providing counsel and support in all vital church activities, taking on specific duties as they are assigned. The Operations Pastor will seek to maximize the resources of the church by delegating to staff, deacons and volunteers to achieve the church’s vision and goals. The Operations pastor will facilitate the flow of information between the elder board, church staff, deacon board and congregation. This is a full-time position with benefits.
• Partner with the Senior Pastor, staff members, the elder board, deacon board and other lay leaders to move the church towards its vision and goals.
• Play a lead role on the campus development planning team; oversee plans and implementation of current and future capital campaigns working closely with staff, elders, outside consultants, architects and lay leaders.
Financial and Administrative Oversight
• Work closely with the church treasurer and finance committee to assure the sound financial management of the church and to shepherd stewardship initiatives.
• Develop financial plans and annual budgets assuring that the church has designated the appropriate financial resources to achieve its mission and vision.
• Ensure financial controls as well as proper and accurate recording of business transactions.
• Prepare and communicate financial reports quarterly to elder board and congregation.
• Ensure effective information technology systems are in place.
Staff Management and Development
• Assist the Senior Pastor in providing an annual review for each staff member that will be submitted to the elder board for their review.
• Work closely with the personnel committee to develop and implement a plan for organizational effectiveness, compensation and benefits, performance evaluations, staff development and goal setting in keeping with the church’s purpose.
• Play key role in helping to recruit, manage and develop exceptional staff and teams of volunteers to serve on committees over finance, planning, facilities management, information technology and human resources.
• The Operations Pastor shall serve as an elder and ensure that elder board decisions are implemented in a godly and timely manner.
• Assist the Chairman of the elder board in defining the agenda, follow up on past agenda items, and provide administrative support for the effective functioning of the elder board.
• Facilitate the flow of information to and from the elder board and provide current information to the elder board to aid in their decision making.
Facilities Planning, Development and Management
• Ensure that the church’s facilities and grounds are safe and properly maintained.
• Balance spending needed for maintenance of existing buildings with need for investing in facilities to be constructed in the upcoming years.
• Oversee relationships with contractors and vendors.
• Play lead role in managing construction projects; primary liaison to the architect and project managers.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• At least five years work experience in operational, administrative and finance functions.
• Experience and passion for ministry.
• Demonstrated experience overseeing others, and recruiting and motivating outstanding teams of volunteers.
• Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and knowledge of accounting principles. Finance management experience in a church or not-for-profit sector would be desirable.
• Knowledge of information technologies; able to manage systems used in financial reporting and administrative operations.
• An undergraduate degree.
• A committed disciple of Christ who demonstrates spiritual maturity and leadership skills; supports Carlisle Evangelical Free’s doctrine and by-laws and embraces its values, vision and goals.
• A prayerful, God-dependent leader possessing unquestionable character and integrity.
• Gifted in administration with a work history of meeting and solving a variety of challenges and problems.
• Excellent judgment; demonstrates wisdom and discernment in handling sensitive or confidential information.
• Energy, tenacity and sense of purpose required to anticipate and overcome the logistical, operational and financial hurdles that can exist in a church environment.
• Open to continual learning; has a teachable spirit.
• An effective team player who creates a culture of excellence and who actively delegates to others while modeling a strong service orientation.
• Superior interpersonal skills in relating to a variety of people and situations.
• Appreciative of volunteers realizing their importance to the effective operations of the church.
• An active listener who can build consensus while maintaining the strength of convictions.
• Superior organization skills; able to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
• Strong implementation skills; able to carry projects through to completion; capable of translating ideas into action.
• Able to articulate the church’s vision in a compelling way that generates enthusiasm and commitment to the vision.
• Will delegate responsibility and authority clearly to staff members and empower others to take action; communicates effectively with others regarding critical decisions.
• A self-starter who can work independently yet solicits and values input from others.
• A healthy sense of humor.