FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
THUNDER BAY, ONTARIO
SENIOR PASTOR VACANCY
Brief job description
First Baptist Church Thunder Bay is seeking a missional sole pastor who enjoys working with a culturally diverse congregation. In this leadership role you will equip and train others to multiply ministry. You will possess a mature faith in Jesus Christ, a passion for people and a visionary outlook for ministry. You will minister in a strategically located, beautiful heritage building in an urban setting.
Brief church history and community
First Baptist Church (FBC) was founded in 1885 in the downtown core of what would become Thunder Bay. The church has enjoyed excellent biblical preaching, strong community, ongoing commitment to prayer, involvement in community ministry and interest in missions.
In June of 2010 our pastor of 6 years resigned. Previous to and following his resignation a significant number of adherents and members left the congregation. In the following two years we have attempted to understand the root causes of disharmony and have worked towards reconciliation. We as a body are on a journey of understanding God's purposes in our midst. Our work is to learn to depend on Him more and more.
Thunder Bay's 110,000 residents include a large and growing First Nations population. The economic base includes mining, forestry (declining), government services, shipping (Thunder Bay is a seaport on Lake Superior) and some manufacturing. Thunder Bay is the regional health care center. The city welcomes students, including many international students to Lakehead University and Confederation College.
Thunder Bay is situated on the beautiful north shore of Lake Superior and is surrounded by 100's of inland lakes. Residents enjoy "backyard" access to every conceivable outdoor activity. Thunder Bay is large enough to provide excellent cultural opportunities and small enough to not spend all day driving there. Thunder Bay is a great place to raise a family.
The pastor is responsible for the vision and values implementation of the church.
PREACHING and TEACHING
- You will teach the Bible with creativity and conviction.
- To vision, strategize and mobilize a compelling, God-centered
worship service in co-operation with worship teams.
- With dependence on God and building on what God is already
doing through FBC, you will work with the leaders and congregation to develop a renewed vision for the church. With patience, love and conviction, you will work to gain understanding, consensus and ownership of the vision amongst the people.
- You will journey with people towards an increasingly vibrant faith
and relationship with God through Jesus Christ; empowering, motivating and challenging them to live out Kingdom values.
- To equip and nurture ministry leaders and teams who provide day
to day ministry operations.
QUALIFICATIONS and EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Demonstrates spiritual maturity, discipleship and dependence on prayer.
- Possesses a strong, clear conviction of a call from God to pastoral
- Strong gifting in the area of preaching and teaching.
- Team player with strong leadership and communication skills.
- Strong relational skills.
- Possesses a desire to work in a cross-cultural context with emphasis on
ministry to First Nations people groups.
- Preferred Master's degree in theology at an accredited institution.
- Ordained or willing to seek ordination with the Canadian Baptists of
Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ).
- Constructed in 1907
- Beautiful heritage building on major downtown intersection.
LIFE and WITNESS of the CHURCH
Sunday morning worship
- average attendance 50 -60.
- music is a combination of traditional and contemporary led by several
- includes a time of congregational sharing.
- Sunday School (10-15 children) and nursery are provided.
- Congregation is multiracial (First Nations and other) and multi-status.
- Morning worship is followed by coffee and fellowship.
Daily Vacation Bible School
- FBC partners with Child Evangelism Fellowship to host
DVBS each summer.
- Cell groups and Bible studies are initiated according to needs.
- Wednesday evening prayer meeting has been foundational
throughout the church’s history.
- We see each member of our congregation as integral to outreach.
Saturday Night Life
- Twice monthly a free meal is provided to approximately 100
guests, many of whom are First Nations.
- A short message or testimony and music precedes the meal.
- This ministry has been ongoing for 11 years.
First Baptist has been pleased to host and work along side various
Outreach groups including:
- Women to Women
- Rising Above
- Groups of Hope
- Sending church for 4 family units, long-term missions.
- Support and encouragement for numerous short-term experiences.
- Missions Conference
- Every 1 to 2 years FBC hosts a weekend event with guest
- Up to 20 local and global ministries have the opportunity to
display and share their vision and passion for their ministries.
First Baptist Church is a beautiful representation of the body of Christ. We are passionate about continuing to be to be a light in this community. We are seeking a pastor who will come along side to help us develop our vision and equip us for effective service.
Name: Dave Fulton
Phone Number: (807) 935-3168
Address: P.O. Box 100
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Lead PastorThe Vine Community Church
- Clovis, New Mexico
- October 27
Bethel Church - Senior PastorVanderbloemen Search Group
- Richland, Washington
- October 26
Senior Pastor - Rancho Bernardo Community Presbyterian Church - San Diego, CAAGORA Search Group
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- October 26
- Muskegon, Michigan
- October 26
Lead PastorGreater Portland Bible Church
- Portland, Oregon
- October 25
First Baptist Church - Thunder Bay
First Baptist Church Thunder Bay is an city centre church located in the downtown area of the hib city for North Western Ontario. It is associated with the Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec.More...