The main hands-on responsibility of this position is the youth program. Additionally this person will be asked to work with ministry leaders by offering support and supervision to the Adult small group ministries and the children's ministries. More specifically
- this person will work to develop the youth program, encourage the Adult Small Group ministries team as they launch a new initiative of "discipling home groups" and support the children's ministry leaders in their ongoing work.
In many ways this is 3 part-time jobs and will require someone with good skills for managing their time and the various projects while working with different groups of leaders. The salary is commensurate with experience and in line with the level of salary
in such staff positions in general.
Full Job Description:
ASBURY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Director of Growth & Nurture Ministries
Vision for this staff position:
Our goal at Asbury of “helping people experience the HOPE of Jesus Christ begins in many ways, but ultimately, the reality of this hope grows more clear and more vivid in people’s lives as they grow deeper in their faith and as they are nurtured to have a heart that loves as God loves. Small groups and ministries that help people both gain greater knowledge of Jesus Christ and also live their faith boldly outside the church walls are the key for us to become a people, a church, of unbridled hope in our community. Having someone who can envision and guide the groups and ministries of our adults, youth, and children will not only give our church a stronger future, but they will help make our children, youth and adults stronger for any future they face. Spiritual growth and development is an essential part of the ongoing develop of Asbury as a church God can use to bring the light of hope into the dark and difficult places of our community and the world.
The various areas of responsibility are as follows:
- Develop, coordinate, and give oversight to the youth Sunday School program including, but not limited to:
- Choosing and/or developing a curriculum;
- Recruit, train and provide oversight to teachers
- Facilitate youth meetings and plan activities (the timing of those dependent on the needs of the children and youth and the time constraints of the leaders).
- Develop, coordinate, and give oversight to programming for youth and their families that is designed to provide opportunities for growth in the understanding of Christian discipleship, such as:
- Hands-on mission opportunities for youth and their families (i.e., U.M. Army, Big House, and District summer camp).
- Programs on spiritual formation that relate to adolescents and the families of adolescents;
- Programs on parenting, particularly of adolescents;
- Other programs which build community.
- Develop opportunities for youth and their families to bear witness to the wider community of the congregation’s commitment to youth and the families of youth.
- Ensure the church database on youth and their families is regularly updated and accurate.
- Communicate with the congregation about the ministry being conducted to and with youth and their families through the congregational newsletter, special announcements, youth newsletters, emails, and/or any other appropriate means.
- Insure that all programming in student ministries is appropriately calendared on the official church calendar
- Attend youth extracurricular activities on occasion, and encourage them in their personal goals related their faith and devotion to Jesus Christ.
- Work with Pastor to develop monthly Children’s time during worship service.
- With input from volunteer teachers, select curriculum for nursery, preschool and grade school Sunday school.
- Recruit, train and provide oversight to Sunday school and Wow Worship teachers.
- Ensure the church maintains a master list of all Sunday school and Wow Worship volunteers. Distribute to volunteers monthly.
- Organize and facilitate yearly Vacation Bible School Program.
- Work with teachers to register children (4th and 5th grade) for District Summer Camp and recruit adult counselors.
Small Group Facilitation
- Facilitate curriculum requests from small group leaders.
- Ensure the church maintains digital attendance records and distribute report to group leaders, and CareKeepers weekly.
- Work with Community and Connections team to connected small groups to various mission and ministry projects, such as the Christmas turkey drive and the Halloween trunk or treat event.
- Assist the Senior Pastor in worship services as needed.
- Assist any successor ministry as needed.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Pastor to fulfill the ministry of the congregation.
Skills and Training
- A personal commitment to Jesus Christ and membership in The United Methodist Church.
- A program of continuing education in youth ministries, spiritual formation, leadership development, and/or other training opportunities that will enhance the ministry of the congregation to youth and their families.
- An ability to communicate well in written and verbal expression, especially as it bears witness to personal and corporate Christian faith.
- Ability to utilize computer software that expands and enhances the congregation’s ministry, especially to and with youth and their families, such as Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, or equivalent programs.
- Willingness to acquire such skills and/or training as may be requested by the Pastor and/or the Staff-Parish Relations Committee subject to negotiation over how and when such skills or training are to be acquired.
- Immediate supervision will be exercised by the Pastor of Asbury United Methodist Church.
- General supervision will be exercised by the Staff-Parish Relations Committee of Asbury United Methodist Church.
- If disagreement on the interpretation of this job description between the Church Ministries Coordinator and the Pastor cannot be resolved, the Staff-Parish Relations Committee is tasked with a final resolution.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Senior Pastor (767612)The Shepherd's Staff
- USA Southeast, Florida
- October 24
Discipleship DirectorRestoration Church
- Mechanicsville, Virginia
- October 23
Community Life Director242 Community Church
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- October 23
Youth PastorVictory Temple Assembly of God
- Jasper, Indiana
- October 22
Discipleship Ministries PastorBethel Church
- Fargo, North Dakota
- October 20
Asbury United Methodist
We are a growing congregation just southeast of Houston and part of the Houston metroplex. We are focused on helping families in our area get connected to God through Jesus Christ in a real and personal way. The majority of the staff is part-time, but our lay leaders are superb.More...