The Director of Accounting will first and foremost be a spiritual leader above reproach.
(I Timothy 3) The number one responsibility of an effective and faithful leader is Godliness, humility, and integrity. Nothing hinders faithful staff in in a church more than a leader compromising any of these responsibilities. As a result, a major part
of this job description is to model the highest level of godliness through spiritual disciplines of prayer, Scripture reading, devotional reading, journaling, and/or fasting.
The Director of Accounting will report directly to the Executive Team.
Overall description: In close concert with the Executive Leadership Team, the Director of Accounting is responsible for leading and overseeing the financial policies and direction for the church including budgeting, accounting, financial
reporting, financial administration, financial planning, and financial ministries. As a member of the senior leadership team s/he will work closely with the staff and membership to provide the overall financial infrastructure in support of the newhope
- Establish accounting policies, procedures and practices for payments, income, donation tracking, period end closing, reconciliations, tracking cash and balance sheet activity, and maintaining general and subsidiary ledgers.
- Establish and oversee financial recordkeeping systems in accordance with GAAP.
- Establish and oversee accounting and reporting for designated, restricted and general funds.
- Prepare, review and communicate timely and accurate financial statements in accordance with standards of responsible stewardship for churches and nonprofit organizations.
- Prepare timely financial and management reports on cash position, budget to actual, trend analysis, demographics and other reporting as needed.
- Oversee budgeting; monitor progress and present operational metrics.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting;
- Oversee appropriate standards of internal control and external reporting.
- Oversee accounts payable and credit card transactions entered into the accounting system.
- Perform/oversee Month-End Close process, including reconciliation of cash/credit balances and activity and check-list preparation of schedules for all balance sheet activity including fixed assets, liabilities and notes payable and cash/equity tie-outs
for the period. Compare line-item variances against budgeted items and summarize reporting packet for Executive Team, Finance Team and newhope members on a quarterly basis.
- Provide Budget vs. Actual reports to Senior Staff/Dept. Heads on a quarterly basis.
- Oversee quarterly Contribution Statements to newhope donors.
- Oversee and analyze Demographic Reports each month for Executive Team to review.
Compliance and Cash/Risk Management
- Manage treasury function, including online banking, deposit tieout to weekly reports in bulletin, transfers between accounts and payroll transactions.
- Report cash balances and forecast cash position to Executive Team on a monthly basis or as needed, including scheduling AR/AP needs on regular payment schedule.
- Establish database-related procedures, processes and administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems as needed.
- Ensure financial policies & procedures are followed for “Best Practices” cash management and fraud prevention.
- Oversee and train Volunteers on Counting Teams and establish guidelines and procedures at the various campuses.
- Oversee management and controls for assurance that operations are carried out and resources are used in a responsible manner and in conformity with applicable laws and regulations, taking into account biblical mandates.
- Review/recommend/implement risk management strategies
- Ensure appropriate financial reporting on material items and oversee inventory recording of assets throughout the movement
- Manage governmental reporting requirements including but not limited to payroll reporting, employer required reporting, donor reporting, sales tax reporting, insurance reporting, and other government and legal requirements.
- Prepare payroll monthly and manage payroll service to accurately prepare and check wages, taxes assessed, deposits made, and payroll returns prepared timely and accurately.
- Manage in-kind and designated gifts. Establish policies and procedures for acceptance of in-kind and designated gifts.
- Manage systems and procedures for online giving, counting process, and security of cash.
- Ensure donor reporting for charitable contributions in in accordance with standards of responsible stewardship.
The Director of Accounting will be a seasoned and mature leader with at least 10 years of broad finance experience including all or most of the following:
- A minimum of a BS in accounting; an MBA or CPA would be a plus.
- Prior experience working in a non-profit organization if preferred, with accounting experience and knowledge of the unique guidelines and reporting of a 501.3C
- Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, and controls
- Demonstrated abilities in examining, developing, reengineering, and recommending financial and accounting systems policies and procedures.
- Strong analytical and spreadsheet skills with experience interpreting strategic vision into an operational model.
- Solid understanding of QuickBooks, including financial reporting/chart of accounts design, online payroll, financial report design, sales tax, and payroll compliance
- A hands-on manager with ability to understand and contribute to the vision
- An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills.
- Experience and success in developing team members.
- A passion for the organization’s mission is essential.
NOTE: Salary to be determined based on experience, skillset, qualifications, etc.
Monday - Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm