DIRECTOR OF STUDENT MINISTRIES
Position Title: Director of Student Ministries
Position Hours: Full Time Position Position
Reports to: Executive Pastor
The intention of the student ministries of Westminster Presbyterian Church is to ensure that our vision, “To be so taken with God that lives are transformed and the world is being impacted for Christ,” is effectively developed and nurtured in the lives of our students and their families. To this end, The Director of Student Ministries has primary responsibility for the strategic planning, development and implementation of the student ministries (nursery through high school) and aligning the ministry with the vision of the church.
The primary purpose of the Director of Student Ministries is to establish and oversee strategies and direction for middle and high school ministry as a spiritual and proactive leader who lovingly engages students, as well as empowers and releases volunteer leaders for student ministry. This will be accomplished by the development of a vibrant, growing, relationally-based youth program that provides the environment for:
- Worship - Students are engaged in worshipful activities that captivate them into a relationship with God and lead them into a transforming relationship with Christ.
- Equipping - Students are taught the Bible in ways that are relevant to middle and high programs and they are engaged in age-appropriate equipping/discipleship.
- Missions - Students are offered opportunities to live missionally and non-Christian students are engaged with the gospel.
- Care - Students are offered loving care as they struggle with difficult issues. Driven by a passion for Christ, youth, and children, The Director of Student Ministries will lead activities that fit the best use of his leadership, strengths and gifts; he will depend upon volunteer leaders to sustain other responsibilities. He will communicate the vision of the ministry to students, parents, congregation and community so that all groups have an excited buy-in to the vision.
I. Organizational Relationships
a. Relationship to Executive Pastor
i. Responsible to carry out the vision as directed by the Executive Pastor.
ii. Keeps the Executive Pastor informed and current with respect to student ministries.
b. Relationship to Staff
i. Participates as vital member of the senior ministry team.
ii. Participates in regular staff meetings.
iii. Participates in planning sessions.
iv. Works with all members and areas of the ministry team.
c. Relationship to Session
i. Serves as resource to the Session in regard to student ministries.
ii. Works in coordination with members of the Session Ministry Leadership Team.
d. Relationship to Fellowship Presbytery (if ordained)
i. Serves as an active member of Fellowship Presbytery.
ii. Serves on Presbytery committees as elected.
II. Ministry Functions
a. Youth Ministries
i. Large and Small Group Meetings
1. Directs the youth ministry for students that reflects a balance of activities involving worship,
discipleship, evangelism, fellowship, and missions that together build a community of
believers with a heart for the world.
2. Provides training in Bible content, Reformed theology, ministry skills and application to the
world of the middle and high school student.
3. Recruits and trains teachers and volunteers (adults and students.)
ii. Special Events and Activities
1. Plans special events, activities, retreats and conferences that reflect a balance of outreach,
fellowship, and service.
2. Coordinates use of buildings and grounds with Business Office
iii. Leadership Recruitment and Training
1. Recruits, trains, counsels and guides volunteers for the youth ministry.
2. Develops a strong volunteer leadership team from all age and social demographics within the
church in order to give balanced and healthy leadership to the students.
iv. Curriculum Development
1. Develops and recommends long and short range objectives for the educational ministries of
the middle school and high school programs.
2. Recommends a training strategy for volunteers in the middle school and high school ministries.
v. Equipping and Ministry
1. Disciples and equips student leaders within the youth ministry.
2. Serves as shepherd and friend of students and parents.
3. Visits on campuses of area schools.
4. Trains interns for youth ministry.
b. Children’s Ministry
i. The Director of Student Ministries has direct oversight of the Director of Children’s Ministry.
ii. Meets regularly with the Director of Children’s Ministry to mentor, to equip and to ensure continuity
within the student ministry.
iii. Advises and evaluates the Director of Children’s Ministry. iv. Curriculum Development
1. Advises in the development of long and short range objectives for the educational ministries of
the nursery, preschool, and elementary school programs.
2. Advises and assists in the training of volunteers in the nursery, preschool, and elementary
v. Advises and assists the Director of Children’s Ministries in regard to the Parents Morning Out
• Bachelors Degree in education, ministry or related field required. Master of Divinity degree
• Strong working knowledge of the Scriptures and the system of doctrine as summarized by the
• Ability to communicate our system of doctrine in a manner that maintains the integrity of the truth
while contextualizing the message in a meaningful way for students to understand.
• Experience working with students and their families within the context of the local church.
• Ability to recruit, train and oversee others to assist in establishing and maintaining effective
• Possession of strong leadership qualities to effectively direct all associated student ministries of
• Skilled in building and leading teams.
• Possesses a teachable heart, a good attitude, a joyful sense of humor, flexibility, and a spirit of
• Empathetic and intuitive in decision-making.
• Possesses a knowledge of students’ developmental stages of life and their current culture in
order to strategically choose and implement appropriate programming.
• Relational with 6th – 12th grade students.
• Communicates and teaches with excitement. • Connects with students on multiple levels.
• Innate ability to be in tune and in touch with today’s teen issues.
• Excellent coaching and listening skills.
• Possession of good teaching and relational skills with an outgoing and genuine interest in
students and their families.
• Desire to equip students to live out the gospel in their lives through worship, spiritual
transformation and mission impact within their communities and the world.
Under the general direction from the Executive Pastor the Director of Student Ministries has primary responsibility for the day-to-day operations of student ministries. He must hold his direct reports accountable, but also equip and empower ministry teams to carry out the vision by leading the areas assigned to them.
Email resume to Kim Hinson at email@example.com
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Student and Outreach PastorFirst Baptist Church Gulfport
- Gulfport, Mississippi
- December 3
Youth Director/PastorGrace Covenant Church
- Olympia, Washington
- December 2
Director of Teen MinistryLutheran Church of the Resurre
- Granite Bay, California
- December 2
Scottsdale Bible Church - Student Ministry PastorVanderbloemen Search Group
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- December 2
Worship PastorChurch of the Way
- Auburn, Georgia
- December 1