Canyon Creek Presbyterian Church
Job Description- February 2013
Job Title: Assistant to the Associate Pastor
Job Description: This position is supervised by the Associate Pastor, maintains the Associate Pastor’s calendar and appointments. This person will assist the Associate Pastor with the educational programs, Deacons, Pastoral Care, and membership.
This will include organization for funerals and evening committee meetings.
Primary job functions as stated are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities as other duties may be requested or
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Gracious and friendly demeanor; telephone and hospitality skills
- Discretion in dealing with pastoral confidences
- Microsoft Excel, Publisher, ACS Database, Constant Contact E-mail Marketing, Web-site updating
Primary Job Functions:
- Maintains and updates Associate Pastor’s calendar and schedules appointments
- Compile Associate Pastor’s card recipient list for the week
- Create phone call list for the week
- Answer phone for the Associate Pastor and manage office flow and messages
- Update church calendar on a daily basis
- Compile prayer card list and send weekly e-mail
- Attend pastoral care meeting to take notes and register assignments
- Keep running pastoral care report with assignments and update continually
- Compile pastoral care anniversary report and notify clergy when appropriate
- Prepare information for bulletins and printed materials concerning pastoral care
- Work with moderators to prepare minutes and agendas for meetings
- Work with Associate Pastor for training, communication needs, and special projects
- Send out weekly Deacon E-mail
- Keep list of deacon assignments and notify deacons of needs
- Coordinate funeral needs and deacon response at time of death
- Support the work of Youth, Children, and Adult Spiritual Growth Committees
- Order and inventory curriculum
- Oversee attendance statistics, event registration, Web pages, and publicity needs
- Collect and oversee Clarion, E-news, and Bulletin publication for program areas
- Monitor non-members and visitors in educational programs and share information with the evangelism support teams
- Contact committee moderators monthly to prepare meeting agendas, minutes, and recommendations for Session packet
- Monthly coordination of visitor data and membership data (roll review) for follow-up communication
- Maintain publicity and registration for new member classes and orientations
- Keep accurate records of small group participation
- Maintain monthly e-news for members participating in small groups
- Project Management of Fall Kick-off Programs, Lenten programs, Special Spiritual Growth Events
Immediate Supervisor: Associate Pastor
Pertinent Subordinates: None
Co-Workers with Similar Responsibilities: Assistant to Head of Staff
Universal Competency Requirements
Adapted from the Presbyterian Church publication “Standards of Ethical Conduct”, approved by 210th General Assembly, all employees of CCPC are expected to display the following qualities:
1. Integrity - An employee is expected to be honest, truthful, and respectful of others. Their behavior will support the ministry of the church. They should refrain from gossip and abusive speech. Exploitive behavior will be avoided and
should be overcome if such behavior occurs. Honor relationships. Recognize personal limits.
2. Stewardship - Employee should be accountable and capable of sound judgment. They should use resources responsibly. They should take appropriate action when able.
3. Quality - Employee should exercise sound judgment in solving problems and they should spend time on the most important work. Good results should be produced.
4. Service to Others - Employee should use their authority and influence constructively. Privacy should be preserved.
5. Balance - Maintain a healthy balance among the responsibilities of my positions, my commitments to family and other primary relationships, and my need for spiritual, physical, emotional, and intellectual renewal. Avoid conflicts of interest.
Core Competency Requirements
1. Communication - Communicated openly and in a timely way. Listens to understand. Speaks and writes clearly. Shares information appropriately. Keeps others well informed. Encourages others to share contrary views. Responds in a timely
manner to messages/requests
2. Adaptability/Flexibility - Deals effectively with change and uncertainty. Copes well with stress and pressure. Is patient. Maintains a positive outlook. Deals constructively with mistakes and setbacks. Looks for ways to help the organization.
3. Teamwork - Works together to achieve successful outcomes. Seeks input from others. Seeks win-win solutions. Supports a shared purpose. Builds relationships. Supports others to achieve success. Knows when to compromise and find mutually
Please Submit Resumes by March 1, 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a minimum of three references.