Fellowship Church is a dynamic missional church of 4,000 in suburban west Knoxville, Tennessee. The Pastor of Disciple-Making Ministries is responsible for directing and developing the adult disciple-making ministries of our church in service of the church’s
mission, vision, and values as determined by our Elders and Lead Pastors. This person oversees the development, maintenance, and enhancement of all of our adult disciple-making mission critical systems, supervises all of its staff and volunteer leaders, and
coordinates all of its shared ministries and partnerships with other departments in our church.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adult Disciple-Making: These responsibilities constitute approximately 70% of the position and include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the development and implementation of a cohesive and comprehensive strategy for helping adults across their adult life-span to continue to advance in their biblical literacy, spiritual maturity, and service for God in their family, church, and
- Supervising, developing, and casting the vision for all the Adult Disciple-Making Pastoral Leadership Teams of our church. These include our leadership teams for Adult Life Stage One (ages 18 – 32), Adult Life Stage Two (32 – 50), and Adult Life Stage
- Developing, supporting, and strengthening the effective operation of all mission critical systems in our adult disciple-making ministries. These include our systems for adult assimilation, spiritual formation, leadership development, community multiplication,
and pastoral care, along with all the staff, interns, volunteers, programs, and disciple-making communities (small, mid-sized, and large) that constitute each of these systems.
- Directly developing and supervising our church’s gender-specific disciple-making ministries to men.
- Member Development and Care: These responsibilities constitute approximately 20% of the position and include but are not limited to:
- Championing and overseeing the membership development process of our church in all facets, including development of membership materials, the conducting of member-related seminars and interviews, and shepherding the pipeline of individuals interested in
- Recruiting and supervising key volunteers to serve as membership mentors, interviewers, and helpers in the member development process.
- Overseeing our church’s system for member care, discipline, and restoration.
- General Pastoral Duties: These responsibilities constitute approximately 10% of the position and include but are not limited to:
- Understanding and fully supporting the stated goals of Fellowship Church, as well as actively contributing to the achievement of those goals.
- Attending and actively contributing to all required meetings (Staff Chapel, Pastoral Ministry Team, Disciple-Making Divisional Meetings, and others as assigned).
- Actively supporting and coordinating with other areas of ministry in our church such as student and children’s, missions and outreach, church wide events, and general staff responsibilities.
- Serving on church task forces and/or committees as assigned by our Associate Lead Pastor.
- Serving assigned days as pastor-on-call
- Performing other pastoral duties as assigned by our Associate Lead Pastor.
Documented Masters Level competencies in adult disciple-making or a closely related field
Seven to ten years demonstrated effectiveness in leading adult-disciple making communities, staff, and volunteers in a large church
- Specific Competences:
Spiritual and relational maturity (especially demonstrated in personal lifestyle and family relationships)
Expert knowledge in Bible, Theology, Spiritual Formation, and Leadership Development
Expert Bible teacher, trainer, and mentor/coach of adults in small, mid-size, and large group settings
Strong people skills and emotional intelligence
Strong leader of teams and small groups
Strong skills in management of church budgets, systems, and staff
Demonstrated expertise in both vision-casting and vision-attainment
Demonstrated expertise in building and shepherding adult disciple-making communities