Normandy United Methodist Church
450 W. Alex-Bell Road
Dayton, OH 45459
POSITION TITLE: Director of Youth Ministry
The Director of Youth Ministry is responsible for leading and coordinating student’s grades 6th through 12th. This position reports to Pastor of Church Ministries.
- Lead and develop the growth of the youth’s Christian faith through
- WEEKLY LARGE GROUP GATHERINGS
- Biblical Teaching: Weekly large group gatherings around family, friends, discipleship, prayer, servant hood, sexuality, and time management, leading service projects, retreats and mission trips, and coordinating
the Sunday School program for grades 6-12.
- Relationship Building:
- DISCIPLESHIP/ SMALL GROUPS
- Inspire and teach the youth and other adult leaders to lead spiritually and organizationally by using mentoring and discipleship skills. Allowing mentored leaders to fail and learn by their mistakes without significantly impacting the entire group
- SERVING OPPORTUNITIES: Lead, implement, and develop regular serving opportunities for students at Normandy, locally in Centerville/ Greater Dayton, and mission trips.
- CONNECTING EVENTS: Lead connecting events, outings, and gatherings for students to be a part of and invite their friends and strengthen relationships in the ministry.
- Ensure adherence to the Youth/Child Safety Policy of NUMC.
- Plan and lead events, large group gatherings, serving opportunities, and overall programming to achieve annual goals.
- Provide program reports / financial reports to Pastor of Church Ministries and Treasurer as needed.
- Coordinate funding sources and programs to supplement support from the church’s general funds. One
Goal is to ensure that youth are not denied the ability to participate because of financial circumstances
- Meet regularly with adult leaders to provide training and resources for the adult leaders to use.
- Encourage active participation and to be sure the group is following the Mission & Vision of Normandy UMC.
- Attend Youth Council meetings, Staff meetings, and Council of Ministries Meetings. Attend Administrative Board meetings as needed.
- Spiritually well founded in Christian beliefs.
- College degree and/or 4 years’ experience in Youth ministry or working towards a 4 year college degree.
- Competent with personal computers and the Internet
- Able to relate well with youth and adult leaders.
- Ability to lead and mentor adult and student leaders.
- Organizational and team building skills with a strong ability to recruit and develop leaders.
- Able to set goals; report on these goals, and to achieve goals.
A TEAMWORK style of ministry is vitally important to the success of leading at Normandy UMC. A team player will enthusiastically participate in cooperative planning and implementation of programs and general ministry activities. This includes regular attendance
at staff meetings and sharing in the teaching ministry of the church as needed.