The Youth & Young Adult Director / Pastor will participate in the overall staff team emphasis of discipleship and disciple-making with particular emphasis given to: leading and overseeing the development of an effective ministry to active and potential Middle School and High School Students, and College Age/Young Adults (18-30 yrs. old); aligning the discipleship processes of youth and young adults so as to enhance the development of fully engaged followers of Jesus Christ; equipping youth and young adults – and those who are in ministry and relationship to them – with leadership, witnessing and life-celebration skills; encouraging / equipping parents as they seek to navigate adolescent developmental processes with their children; providing pastoral support to those within the domain of the ministry area; and developing, equipping, overseeing and enhancing a team-approach to ministry that empowers the Church to fulfill its mission and vision.
Ministry Area/Department: Discipleship / Youth / Young Adult
Accountable To: Senior Pastor; Pastor-Parish Relations Team
Ministry Target: Middle School and High School Youth, Young Adults, their parents / families, and their ministry teams
Position Is Paid staff, Full-time (Exempt)
Position Credentials ~ Minimum requirements: college or seminary degree; 3 years experience in youth ministry settings – with college age ministry experience a plus; ordination not required
Spiritual Gifts Pastor/shepherd • Leadership • Teaching • Prophecy • Administration (and/or others in combination with these)
Best Personality Traits ~ Dependable • Expresser – leader • “Promoter” • Compassionate • Mature character • Teachable • Self-starter / initiative taker • Team-player • Listener
Passion For: Ministering to and with teens and young adults, as well as their families, with a heart for understanding their special needs and a desire to reach them with the “Good News” of the Gospel; leadership and faith development of students and adults – mentoring, coaching, discipling; team-based ministry
Length of Service Commitment: Two years minimum, renewable annually for 1 year increments; probationary period during initial 90 days
ANTICIPATED TIME COMMITMENTS
1. Doing ministry/preparing for ministry: average of thirty-five (35) hours a week (with additional expectations based on program needs – e.g., retreats, mission trips, etc. On average, 25 hours to be devoted to youth ministry, 10 hours to young adult ministry.
2. Participating in meetings/training: weekly staff meetings; bi-weekly connections with Senior Pastor; ministry team meetings as scheduled; training / continuing education / planning events, as scheduled.
1. Must be a committed follower of Jesus Christ, seeking to develop own personal and devotional relationship with Jesus Christ.
2. Must be able to support and work within the mission, vision, values and focus of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church as well as within the doctrinal standards of the United Methodist Church.
3. Must have professional fluency in the English language, both verbal and written.
4. Must have excellent communication skills with an above average knowledge and skill level with computers / media / technology.
5. Must regularly attend worship services at St. Mark’s Church.
6. Must demonstrate positive, interactive participation on the staff team that models mutual respect, accountability, and the free expression of your God-given spiritual gifts for the benefit of the team and the church.
7. Must comply with the expectations of the Employee Handbook of St. Mark’s Church.
1. Train, equip and lead the GLO Adult Leadership Team in overseeing the ministry to Middle School and High School youth and their families, and taking ownership of the mission, vision and values of the GLO Ministry, with a specific emphasis to nurturing and developing their relationship with Jesus Christ, each other, and the community.
2. Work with the GLO Adult Leadership Team and the Church Staff to coordinate long-range planning and goals for the youth ministry. Work with the Young Adult Ministry Team in coordinating long-range planning / goals for young adult ministry.
3. Seek to involve youth and parents in the implementation of all youth ministry related programs and events, especially in utilizing / emphasizing discipleship through small groups.
4. Communicate with parents about goals, activities, and events of the ministry.
5. Prepare and administrate the annual youth ministry / young adult ministry budgets along with the appropriate ministry Leadership Teams.
6. Develop and maintain appropriate safety and security guidelines as outlined in the Safe Sanctuary policy for the St. Mark’s Church, including criminal background checks for staff and voluteers and implementing training on child protection, health issues, and other procedures to ensure the safety and security of those participating in the church’s ministries.
7. Oversee and delegate direction of related youth ministry events and College-Age/ Young Adult events such as fundraisers, special events, Sunday activities, midweek programs, retreats and holiday events.
8. Participate in the calling, equipping and deploying of ministry leaders (volunteers) for youth and young adult ministries, and in the development of their spiritual leadership capacity.
9. Serve as Pastor to youth and young adults and their families.
10. Develop and facilitate the church’s confirmation program, under the direction of the Senior Pastor.
11. Participate in / resource outreach ministries to youth and young adults within the community.
12. Regularly evaluate these ministry areas so as to keep them aligned with the church's mission, vision, values and focus.
13. Be available to lead worship and / or preach – as negotiated with the Senior Pastor - as it enhances the overall focus of the church.
14. Pray, pray, pray for the Senior Pastor, other staff members, volunteer workers, members and the church as a whole.
15. Any other duties as negotiated with the Senior Pastor and based on person’s spiritual gifts and calling.
Inquiries and Resumes: Send to Pastor David Woolverton, St. Mark's U.M. Church, 37 E. Main St., Mount Joy, PA 17552 or email it to: email@example.com
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Children's & Student MinistriesFour Mile Presbyterian Church
- Beaver, Pennsylvania
- December 9
Pastor to Students and their FamiliesFirst Baptist Church
- Boerne, Texas
- December 8
Campus Student Ministry AssociateWestwood Community Church
- Minnetonka, Minnesota
- December 8
Campus Student Ministries Pastor(s)Parkview Christian Church
- Orland Park, Illinois
- December 8
Children's PastorChurch In The Son
- Orlando, Florida
- December 8
St. Mark's UM Church
St. Mark's Church is a 150+ year old United Methodist congregation with solid Wesleyan evangelical faith foundations. It is in the center of Mount Joy, PA (Lancaster County) - a once small rural community that has rapidly become an up-and-coming sleeper town. The church is a vital presence in the community - missionally engaged with a food bank, clothing bank, a thriving pre-school and before-and-after school program which are integrated with the church's overall children's ministry, a creative outreach ministry for young adults, a 24/7 pray More...