Are you a worship leader who can create a worship experience for skeptics, spiritual explorers, and believers alike? Do you thrive in the practical and theological tension of a church that values both attractional and missional ministry? Do you dream about the opportunity to experiment, on a large scale, with rock-oriented worship that creatively reinterprets ancient Christian practices? Lake Forest Church (LFC) is seeking a Worship Arts Director with the vision and talent to help us meet our goal: to glorify God by transforming consumers into worshipers.
Who We Are
LFC is a 14 year old church of 1,500-2,000 people in four services between two campuses, with plans to launch a third campus within the next 12 months. Started in 1998 by Mike Moses, LFC is a member of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) and is known for ‘reaching people who’ve given up on church, but not on God’, through a clear and engaging focus on Jesus, spiritual growth in small groups, and intentional deployment outward in mission. Our worship experience has been a key element in our growth and discipleship. We seek a person with vision and experience in leading the people of God to worship Him in ways that include the following:
Worship Participants: We take Paul’s instructions for worship in I Cor. 14:18-25 as normative. Gathered Christian worship should always take into account three different persons: the believer (Christian), the inquirer (whom we call ‘spiritual explorer’), and the nonbeliever (whom we refer to as a ‘skeptic’). Thus we envision, plan and lead worship services intended to edify Christians, as well as engage skeptics and spiritual explorers.
Musical Style: LFC pursues and expects excellence in musical instrumentation and voice because it honors God and powerfully expresses God’s beauty to both the redeemed and the seeking heart. Adult contemporary rock is the primary musical style in our local culture, so it is our worship style. We also experiment along a broad spectrum of musical genres.
Creative Worship Elements: At LFC, worship is more than words and music. We use a wide variety of art forms including: short film, ambient lighting, specific musical genres (blues), unique stage/set design for each new sermon series, original poetry, participatory rehearsal of truth (ex. use of fingerprint ink pads at communion stations for all to rehearse their identity in Christ), painting, sculpture, lots of humor, and more.
Ancient/Future Worship: While LFC is a ‘today’s musical style’ church, we continually explore how early Christian worship models can be applied to the postmodern church, for the dual purposes of deeply rooted discipleship and effective worship evangelism. Whether celebrating the season of Lent, setting up and praying the Stations of the Cross during Holy Week, or singing hymns, ancient/future is an emerging element of our worship approach.
Reporting dually to the Lead Pastor and Executive Director, the primary responsibilities of the Worship Arts Director will be to lead musical worship at the LFC-Huntersville campus (personally and/or through others) and to lead weekly and long-term all-LFC worship service planning and execution (creative service elements, music, sound, lights, a/v, presentation software and more) at all of our campuses. This person will continuously elevate the worship at our campuses by resourcing, encouraging, and developing their worship leaders. General duties for this full-time staff role include:
- Plan and coordinate song sets and service flow for Sunday worship services that enhances the message, atmosphere and worship theme
- Manage weekly rehearsals and ensure all worship arts elements are of high quality and that all worship arts teams are fully prepared for Sunday morning
- Oversee the scheduling of the worship team including instrumentalists, vocalists, media and AV.
- Complete weekly post-service reviews
- Act as a catalyst for creativity, pushing boundaries and translating creative vision into reality.
- Elevate the “Sunday morning experience” by immersing in and staying abreast of worship arts best practices
- Utilize special events, guest appearances and musical alternatives to open the door to new attendees
- Maintain the health and spirit of the primarily volunteer worship team with regular personal connection and encouragement
- Build and expand the team and its range of talent by recruiting, engaging, auditioning and onboarding new talent.
- Mentor, teach and inspire team members, providing a strong, biblical approach to the spiritual development of the team.
- Establish and embody a Christ-focused culture of excellence
- Coordinate and integrate the work plans of other campuses and ministry areas to promote alignment in the overall vision and strategy.
- Foster the flow of communication between the worship arts teams, the Lead Pastor, XD and other ministries, fostering an environment of cooperation, trust and openness
- Must be able to manage energetic, very talented and high-spirited team members and resolve conflicts in a Christ-like, yet decisive, manner
- Take a leadership role in strategic thematic planning for worship, preaching and teaching
- Serve as required for senior leadership matters, particularly regarding strategic planning
- Effectively supervise staff, which includes paid staff and volunteers.
- In coordination with the XD, develop, manage and comply with annual worship arts budget
- Ensure that all instruments, lighting, sound, and multimedia equipment is in proper working condition and always operational.
- Plan for future equipment needs and priorities, and provide for the protection and inventory of church equipment
- In coordination with the Lead Pastor and XD, define success measures for worship arts ministry.
- Must have a saving faith in Jesus Christ and be willing to commit to the mission and motivations of LFC
- 5+ years of experience as a Worship Leader
- Must be able to effectively express ideas and communicate the Word of God in a relevant, innovative manner
- Demonstrated experience in managing staff and volunteers
- Bachelor degree in relevant professional field with relevant graduate degree a bonus
- Need not be ordainable in the EPC, but must have the ability to think theologically about worship and be comfortable with the Reformed understanding of Scripture
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship LeaderCrosspointe Church
- Sanger, California
- January 20
Worship Pastor - 1768MinisterSearch
- Centennial, Colorado
- January 20
Harvest Bible Chapel - Director of WorshipVanderbloemen Search Group
- Sacramento, California
- January 20
Director of Contemporary Worship -1723MinisterSearch
- Great Cincinnati Suburb, Ohio
- January 20
Youth Worship LeaderImpact Fellowship Church
- Overland Park, Kansas
- January 19