This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Community Church of Portage Lakes
Akron, Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 08/05/2008
Categories: Senior Pastor
Church Size: 251 to 350
Job Type: Full-Time
SUMMARY GUIDELINES OF QUALIFICATIONS FOR SENIOR PASTOR
We are seeking a man of God equipped with the spiritual gifts to effectively minister to our congregation and community. To qualify for this position it is essential that you meet the following minimum requirements:
1. Through diligent prayer you believe that the Lord may be directing you to another ministry. (You are not merely seeking a “way out” of a difficult or challenging situation or ministry.)
2. You can give evidence of meeting the Scriptural qualifications as outlined in I Timothy 3:1-11 and Titus 1:6-9.
3. You can affirm your unqualified acceptance of the doctrinal statement of Community Church of Portage Lakes and are dedicated to the Word of God.
4. You possess the gift of pastor-teacher and have the unique ability to provide clear and powerful expository preaching and to reproduce a genuine and growing faith in the lives of others.
5. You are one who leads with integrity as a servant-leader who can effectively delegate authority and responsibility with the example of Jesus Christ as your model. (Matthew 20:25-28)
6. You are willing to retain the best of our heritage, yet provide spiritual leadership with a sense of building for the future and penetrating our community with the gospel.
7. You will depend upon prayer and godly wisdom when hiring new church staff.
8. You are able to integrate and promote programs which will minister to the needs of a
diverse congregation. This would include discipleship in all of its phases –
evangelism, training, serving, and sending.
9. You are motivated to show care and compassion for people and can identify with
their needs and try to understand their struggles or concerns.
As a further guideline it is desirable that you possess most of the following qualifications:
1. Ministering to a growing congregation at different stages in their spiritual journey.
2. Possess a graduate degree from a conservative, evangelical seminary.
3. Ten or more years experience in ministry. (This is negotiable depending upon the person and circumstances.)
4. Be happily married and family oriented.
5. Believe in having an effective missionary emphasis and program within the congregation.
6. Willingness to minister in an independent church versus a denominational one.
SUMMARY FACT SHEET
Community Church of Portage Lakes
Address: 3260 Cormany Road Phone: (330) 644-6121
Akron, OH 44319 Fax: (330)644-9777
Website: www.ccofpl.org Email: email@example.com
Mission Statement: Our purpose is to glorify God by producing a loving body of disciples who actively communicate the Good News of Jesus Christ to our community and world.
Membership: 240 Worship attendance: 275-350
Stewardship: Annual Budget = $480,000 Missions = $140,000 Pre-school= $330,000
Primary focus: Community church strives to have a high view of God, the Scriptures, personal holiness, and equipping believers for the works of service. We are a people of grace and demonstrate godly love to one another in the church, at home, and in the market place. We have recently established core values that include the above in conjunction with worship, discipleship, community, and service.
Church organization: We are an elder-led church, along with various boards and committees to best serve the body. We have a Deacon Board, a Deaconess Board, a Trustee Board, a Mission Board – as well as a music committee, parent committees for children and youth. There are also committees for both women’s, men’s and senior’s ministries. We also have a Pre-School Board that exercises oversight of our Christian Pre-School.
Staff: Oversight of the ministry is done by a senior pastor, with the assistance of an associate pastor. We have an office manager, a financial secretary, and a full-time custodian. We have part-time positions for children and youth ministries and a full time director of the pre-school, and a part-time position for music and worship.
Adult Ministries: Strong women’s programs with Bible studies and fellowship activities, retreats; Men’s monthly breakfast – leadership training classes; home Bible fellowships, various Bible study groups, a strong Sunday school ministry with 9 classes; short-term mission trips; a senior ministry, prayer groups, and special interest activity groups such as golfing, softball, biking, crafts/scrapbooking, etc.
Youth Ministries: Strong and balanced discipleship and fellowship activities, short-term mission trips, Bible studies, open gyms, and service projects, etc.
Children’s Ministries: Children’s Sunday school and kid’s church; kid’s choir, VBS, Pioneer Clubs for girls and Christian Service Brigade for boys.
Music Ministry: An adult and children’s choir, a praise band, a vocal praise team, vocal ensembles, soloists, special musicales, etc.
Missions and Outreach: We support many missionaries (local – national – global) with a variety of services. For example, church planters, language translation, pastors, support personnel, evangelists, outreaches to several different people groups, etc.
Facilities: Community Church has a worship center that holds approximately 500-600, a chapel that holds about 100, five offices, a multi-media room, a fellowship hall/gym, a kitchen and parlor, classrooms on both the main floor and the basement. There is a foyer, library, restrooms, and a large parking lot. We have some grassy areas, a small pavilion with picnic tables, a storage garage, and small ball field.
CHURCH DOCTRINAL STATEMENT
Community Church of Portage Lakes – Akron, Ohio
We accept the Scriptures as our authority in matters of faith and practice. We adopt the following Confession of Faith as our interpretation of Biblical Doctrine:
1. We believe the Old and New Testaments to be verbally inspired by God; inerrant in the original manuscripts, and the supreme and final authority of faith and life.
2. We believe in one God, holy, eternal, self-existent, and self-revealing in three distinct persons – the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
3. We believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His perfect Deity and humanity. We believe in His substitutionary atonement for sin, His bodily resurrection, His visible, imminent, pre-millenial return for His church, His glorious and literal kingdom over all the nations for a thousand years, and His eternal reign with the Father in the New Heaven and the New Earth.
4. We believe in the personality of the Holy Spirit, who convicts the world of sin, regenerates, indwells, baptizes, seals, and sanctifies all who become children of God through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
5. We believe that man was directly created in the image of God, but by sinning brought both spiritual and physical death to himself and his posterity, who have within themselves no possible means of recovery or salvation.
6. We believe in salvation by grace, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ in whom all believers have a present possession, eternal life, a perfect righteousness, sonship in the family of God, deliverance and security from all condemnation, and every spiritual resource needed for life and godliness.
7. We believe in separation from this present world in its evil ways, worldly amusements, unclean habits, and that we should seek the things that are above, walk as He walked, and be careful to maintain good works.
8. We believe in the personality of the Devil, the arch enemy of God and man, in the eternal conscious punishment of the lost in a literal hell of torment.
9. We believe that the Church is an elect company of believers, the body of Christ, chosen by God to glorify Jesus Christ by an aggressive effort to disciple all nations through the preaching of the Gospel.
10. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has gone to prepare a place for all saved, that their souls go to be with Him at death, that their bodies will be resurrected or transformed at His second coming, at which time they will be rewarded according to their works.
11. We believe that the Church shall, in all its endeavors, be supported by God’s financial plan of “Tithe and Offering”.
12. We believe that the ordinances of the Church, given by our Lord, are baptism (by immersion) and the Lord’s Supper (Holy Communion).