This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Calvary Chapel Newport News
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 04/16/2010
Categories: Other Pastor
Denominations: Calvary Chapel
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
Calvary Chapel is currently looking for an Executive Pastor to become a part of an exciting, expanding and vibrant ministry. Calvary Chapel is a non-denominational, international teaching ministry with close to 30 countries represented in our worshiping body of 1800 members. Calvary Chapel is located in Newport News,Virginia- a vital part of the Hampton Roads community. The rich history of this area along with the international trade, tourism, military bases and agriculture provide a diverse socio-economic and cultural base for this central Tidewater location.
I. PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS:
This person must have made a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and must demonstrate the reality of that relationship through their life and testimony. This person must have ministry experience in working with both adults and youth, and the ability to relate to them on a personal and spiritual level. This person has a Christlike attitude that is accepting and inclusive of all the diverse parts of the body of Christ. This person must be self-directed, high-energy, enthusiastic and self-motivated with a history of success, while at the same time, maintaining a teachable and humble spirit. The person must possess a strong fervor for reaching the lost and helping the Church reach the community through evangelism, service, out-reach, and personal relationships.
This person must be creative, highly organized, administrative in thinking and execution and effective in managing multiple priorities and assignments. The person must have the conceptual skills to develop an idea into an active ministry. This person is to have a strong and consistent Biblical teaching ability and be able to effectively communicate God’s word in various settings. This person must also possess strong oral and written communication skills and must have the ability to master the church P.C. programs including Microsoft Office products. This person must have proven interpersonal and conflict management skills and be able to make decisions in keeping with the vision, policies, and practices of Calvary Chapel Newport News.
Much of the Executive Pastor's job description involves ensuring his spiritual life, character, carriage, demeanor, education, training and attitude always represent Christ and his church. This takes constant effort through prayer, worship, scriptural study, professional growth, education, training and personal fellowship with the congregation. This person realizes that God is always working, seeks to join God in His work, and is willing to make life adjustments to join God in what He is doing.
II. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum of a bachelors degree in Divinity or Pastoral Studies and an advanced degree preferred. An equivalent level of ministry experience (at least 8 years of experience in congregations of 1500 or above) will be considered. This person should also have a background in Business Administration or Management.
III. DISTINCTIVE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Support the Senior Pastor in carrying out the ministry of Calvary Chapel Newport News to include:
1. Be ordained for ministry
2. Conduct Pastoral Counseling
3. Participate in staff meetings and leadership training sessions
4. Handle emergency situations
5. Conflict resolution among church members and staff
6. Visit and maintain contact with church members that are sick, hospitalized or shut-in
7. Inform Senior Pastor of special needs of ministry groups or any critical issues within the church
8. Shepherd, guide, support, and develop the Church Leaders and maintain regular scheduled contact with the leaders
9. Assist the Senior Pastor as needed in administrative tasks, special projects and campaigns
IV. MINISTRY RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Executive Pastor ensures that the business affairs of the church, including the supervision of support staff and the appropriation of allocated resources, enhance and enable the effective ministry of the church. The responsibilities of the Executive Pastor focus on the non-ministerial or business functions of the day-to-day management of the church and as such, this person should be familiar with structure and functioning of Calvary Chapels. This person should also have experience in a congregation of 1500 or more. The role of Executive Pastor frees the Senior Pastor to devote more time to preaching, teaching and mentoring. The Executive Pastor will play a significant role in the vision/strategic planning for the church and will help drive the vision throughout the professional staff as well as actively work with the Ministry Leadership.
The goals of the church will dictate how the resources should be allocated and the Executive Pastor will seek to maximize the resources of the church, enabling the ministerial personnel to achieve the church’s stated goals. This role requires a firm grasp on the purpose, values and strategy of CCNN and the ability to align staff and key leadership teams with its mission. The Executive Pastor will offer pastoral leadership to the congregation alongside and, when necessary and/or expedient, in place of the Senior Pastor. The Executive Pastor will ensure that the systems, practices, and policies of the church responsibly and effectively support its ministry activities.
Strategic Leadership and Planning
Responsible for strategic planning and staff coordination in the execution of the church’s purpose. The Executive Pastor will define strategic goals and vision and provide the catalyzing challenges and activities to the staff and elders to allow CCNN to remain true to its purpose. The Pastor is also responsible for developing new ministry initiatives so that CCNN is appropriately responsive to identified needs and church growth.
1. Coordinate and lead weekly staff meetings and other activities designed to clarify and execute CCNN goals and objectives
2. Provide leadership in vision casting and goal setting
3. Monitor the pulse of the congregation through research and evaluation
4. Ensure staffing, facilities and programs are appropriately and effectively aligned to best meet CCNN’s vision and mission
Staff Supervision and Development
Serve as Director of pastors, paid staff, and lay volunteers. The Executive Pastor will lead, evaluate, and mentor existing staff in their respective areas of ministry and prioritize staff additions.
1. Implement an accountability system that ensures the pastoral personnel are setting, measuring and achieving specified and objective goals in line with the vision and direction of the church
2. Shepherd and care for the personal and spiritual health of the staff; ensuring high morale and espirit de corps
3. Responsible for hiring and dismissal of staff after consultation and guidance from Senior Pastor
4. Provide leadership to the pastoral staff in the design and implementation of all church ministries
5. Work with the Business Director and Board of Trustees to implement salary reviews and recommendations
6. Maintain efficient and effective lines of communication between the staff, ministry leaders and Senior Pastor
7. Conduct performance evaluations and provide on-going informal performance feedback
8. Coordinate staff retreats
9. Develop creative techniques to show appreciation on an ongoing basis to staff and volunteers
10. Manage personnel matters such as vacation dates, staff evaluations, interviews, training and professional development, and maintaining balanced work schedules
Establishes goals and key results areas with the staff and oversee and execute the administration of the church through appropriate staff, lay leadership teams, and consultants.
1. Responsible in conjunction with Business Director to control and manage revenue projections as well as, expenditures
2. Maintain strong accountability with CCNN Ministry Leaders in all areas of ministry for growth spiritually, numerically, and evangelistically
3. Meet with all Pastoral staff to provide support, encouragement, training, accountability and direction in their ministries
4. Assist the pastoral staff in goal setting, planning, prioritizing and ministry implementation
5. Meet regularly with Senior Pastor to apprise him of status of church operations and staff activities
6. Assemble pastoral staff task forces as necessary for project/program development and coordination
7. Oversee development of and adherence to church policies and procedures
8. Supervise all hired contractors to assure the job is completed in a safe, timely, wise, and fiscally prudent manner according to the contract and in a least disruptive manner
9. Ensure all governmental permits have been secured and are honored for church activities
Oversee the management and development of all facilities owned or operated by CCNN. This includes scheduling and utilization of all facilities and ensuring the completion of business, facility, and logistical support functions through staff and lay volunteers.
1. Supervise the professional management of real estate, including preventive maintenance, cost benefit measures, and space allocation and use - to minimize cost and maximize ministry use and benefit
2. Possess a general understanding of legal matters pertaining to the facilities and their usage
3. Supervise all building and grounds maintenance employees and volunteers
4. Manage remodeling, expansion and constrution projects, including negotiating contracts with subcontractors, supervising construction, scheduling of projects and working closely with volunteers
5. Oversee facility budget and expenditures
6. Ensure the timely completion of objectives in the overall campus development and building process and serve as the church liaison for the architect and general contractor
7. Oversee security issues
Relation to the Staff: Executive Pastor reports directly to the Senior Pastor. An annual review will be conducted by the Senior Pastor to evaluate job duty performance and the efficacy of the goals and objectives established for the ministries he oversees.
Disclaimer: This position description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of those essential job duties.