This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Overlake Christian Church
Redmond, Washington, United States
Date Posted: 07/22/2008
Church Size: 2501 to 3000
Job Type: Full-Time
OVERLAKE CHRISTIAN CHURCH JOB DESCRIPTION
Department: Finance Office Title: Finance Director
Status: Exempt Full Time
This position reports to Executive Pastor
This is a supervisory position
This position is a member of the Executive Team
To facilitate the effective ministry of the Finance Office and it’s staff with excellence, by conducting such activities, including, but not limited to, the care and custody of funds/financial assets of the church/affiliated organizations, maintaining the church financial records, and preparing financial reports for church administrators and Elders in a spirit of Christlikeness.
• Supervise the Finance Office staff consisting of General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable Accounting Associates.
• Oversee record keeping of contributions and expenditures for building projects/capital stewardship campaigns.
• Supervise the planning, implementation and follow-up of all capital stewardship campaigns.
Accounts Payable and Purchasing
• Monitor all purchases, encouraging competitive pricing or bulk purchasing for cost containment, keeping expenditures within the guidelines of the OCC budget.
• Authorized to sign checks prepared in accordance to OCC policy and independent auditor’s recommendation.
• Oversee the contribution fund deposit process weekly in addition to other miscellaneous deposits to applicable banks.
• Insure proper posting of all receipts of Church accounts according to proper accounting principles and guidelines established.
• Maintain a daily bank control of all accounts for cash flow purposes.
• Accountable for the custody of all cash funds and investments of the church and its affiliated organizations.
• Develop and maintain necessary relationships with banks and other financial institutions.
• Responsible to effectively communicate financial information to Finance Office staff and other OCC staff including, but not limited to, Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, Directors, Senior Staff, Team Leaders, Elders, Finance Council and other OCC Councils as directed or requested.
• Reports to the Executive Pastor and meets weekly with him for the purpose of reporting, accountability and planning.
• Maintain proper security and confidentiality of all records in the Finance Office.
• Insure bank statements are properly reconciled on a monthly basis.
• Responsible for proper endorsements for corporate checks, notes, bonds, mortgages and all corporate documents specifically authorized by Administration and/or Elders.
• Maintain general liability insurance’s of the church and its affiliates.
• Prepare annual and supplemental budget documents for approval to Elders.
• Coordinate the establishment of the church’s budget programs in cooperation with the Team Leaders and Administration
• Consolidate capital assets, maintenance and general operating budgets, compare appropriation requests against approved budgets prior to commitments; and, exercises accounting control to insure budgeted expenditures do not exceed amounts authorized.
• Prepare monthly and annual financial statements and reports as required according to fiscal policy requirements established.
• Maintain general accounting files and special project files.
• Act as immediate contact with the church’s independent auditors on accounting matters.
• Design, revise and implement financial reports to meet staff needs.
• Ongoing design, revision and implementation of internal accounting controls and procedures to maximize effectiveness.
Insurance/ Risk Management
• In conjunction with the Executive Pastor, will review and make recommendations on all appropriate levels of insurance.
• Maintains the original copies of all insurance documents.
• In conjunction with the Executive Pastor will set in place all appropriate Risk Management policies and procedures to mitigate potential “trigger spots.”
Overlake Christian Foundation (OCF)
• Supervise the ongoing efforts of the OCF including planning, strategizing for maximum impact in partnership with OCC.
• Will ensure that regular meetings are held (quarterly at a minimum) to implement and plan new strategies for keeping OCF alive and vibrant.
• Will report annually to the eldership on the activities of the OCF.
Ongoing Congregational Education
• Will coordinate with ministry teams to have ongoing educational classes to increase financial stewardship and awareness.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong communication, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Extensive knowledge of spreadsheets and computerized non-profit accounting systems.
• Experience in Fund Accounting.
• Hands on accounting capabilities to analyze research and correct accounting records, practices and procedures.
• “Take charge” personality; showing initiative, perseverance, able to take directives and be flexible in an ever-changing environment.
• Display godly leadership to supervised staff.
• Strong computer skills with experience working with Word, Windows, Excel, E-mail, Schedule Plus, Win95 and applications of same.
• College graduate with a degree in Accounting and can demonstrate ability to do accounting and fund accounting.
• CPA certification a plus.
• Non-profit accounting experience required.
• Total life commitment to Christ.
• OCC membership required.