This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
SMITHFIELD BAPTIST CHURCH
Smithfield, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 07/19/2008
Categories: Associate Pastor
Church Size: 351 to 500
Job Type: Full-Time
Purpose of this Position: Smithfield Baptist is a diverse community of believers who unite under the Lordship of Christ. We are seeking a person to help us fulfill our mission in a rapidly growing and changing surrounding community. The Church recognizes the importance of the laity congregation in providing volunteer staff necessary to complete the church mission. Likewise, the Church members are part of a greater local community in which it must be a Light of Truth. The need for leadership, and the training of leaders in education and discipleship, is strongly felt by the Church body. An improved Christian education and training program is a desire of the Church.
Basic Job Description
1.Assist the senior pastor in fulfilling his role as the primary spiritual leader, vision caster, pastor, and teacher of the church.
2. Assist the senior pastor with projects as requested.
3. Participate in leading the church services as required.
4. Monitor the church ministries and alert the senior pastor of any areas of concern.
5. Assist in developing, organizing and giving leadership to the ministries within the church as directed.
6. Develop educating and training materials as agreed upon with senior pastor
7. In conjunction with the Pastoral Staff, conduct visitations to perspective members, hospitals, and shut-ins on behalf of the church when requested.
8. Assist the Pastor with worship and pastoral care concerns to include assisting in funerals and weddings as requested.
9. Assist in scheduling and coordinating events.
10. Provide counseling and referral to those in need.
Additional Areas of Primary Responsibility
To provide for the organization, operation, and oversight of the Christian Education and discipleship programs.
1. Assist in all facets of adult Christian education. Coordinate efforts with the Minister of Youth when applicable.
2. Coordinate with the Sunday School Director to administer the Sunday School Program.
a. Assist with recruitment and training of volunteers.
b. Assist with the training and recruitment of the teaching staff.
c. Advise the staff on securing materials and equipment for classes.
d. Help the Sunday School committee organize for education and growth.
e. Evaluate use of rooms for maximum benefit.
f. Assist with the Child Protection Program.
g. Determine need to start new Adult Christian education classes every six to twelve months.
3. Supervise selection and distribution of church and Christian literature.
4. Coordinate efforts to inform the church and community about educational ministries.
5. Provide learning resources for adult education programs
6. Work with the Pastoral Staff to develop and implement discipleship training
In conjunction with the Pastoral Staff, conduct visitations to perspective members, hospitals, and shut-ins on behalf of the church when requested.
1.Under Senior Pastor direction, develop and execute “Visitation Ministry,” through recruitment and training
a. Coordinate visitation programs.
b. Involve and train deacons or other lay persons in visitation
c. Visit those who are in the hospital, nursing home, or at home to provide spiritual encouragement and prayer.
2. Provide appropriate reports to the pastors, appropriate committees, and church.