The Children’s Pastor/Director at South Hills Church provides leadership, training, support and oversight to all CM (Children’s Ministry) staff. Responsible for the implementation and development of programming for the spiritual formation of children, birth
through 8th grade, and equipping parents to fulfill their responsibility as the primary spiritual leader of their children.
Leading and managing
- Manages overall organization, design, and oversight of CM programs
- Recruits and utilizes a CM leadership team for advice & support
- Manages nursery/childcare needs for all programs
- Recruits, hires, trains, leads, schedules, and provides direction to volunteers in all children’s programs – newborn through 8th grade; either directly or through other staff, lay leaders, and teams
- Sees that volunteers and staff in the ministry are shepherded as they do their ministry. (We don’t want to give our people “ministry work to do” – we want to care for them and help them grow as Disciples of Christ as they serve in this ministry.)
- Selects, evaluates, creates, and monitors overall curriculum
- Responsible for check-in procedures & tracking weekly attendance
- Participates in Team Leaders meetings to discuss ministry strategy and effectiveness
- Coordinates yearly program calendar
- Insures that facilities are appropriate. This includes safety, functionality for programming, appeal to kids, appeal to parents, adequate amounts of space, etc.
- Creates and oversees policies and procedures to provide a safe, quality environment for children.
- Creates and maintains annual budget for CM.
- Communicates vision and purpose of children’s ministry to the church family
- Responsible for all communications of children’s programs, events, and responsibilities to parents, children, staff, and volunteers
- Participates fully as a member of the pastoral and ministry staff
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Pastor
- Active and growing relationship with Jesus Christ; evidenced by action, attitude, speech & behavior
- A passion for CM and to see families grow in their faith together
- Experience in recruiting, motivating, equipping and scheduling volunteer leaders to minister to children & families in similar size church.
- Experience in designing and developing CM programs
- Effective communication skills (written, verbal & interpersonal)
- Demonstrated ability to understand and relate to children and their families.
- Ability to reach out and connect with families in the church
- Competent with basic computer software (Excel, Word, Publisher) with the capacity to learn new software.
- At least five years experience in directing a large Children’s Ministry, including management of paid ministry staff and of a large volunteer team.
- BA or BS degree required.
- Customer Service.
- Able to multi-task with frequent interruptions.
- Maintain confidentiality and able to handle change well.
- Time management to meet deadlines.