First Christian www.fccf.org
First Christian has an awesome opportunity for a Children’s Pastor to be a member of our pastoral staff and gifted team! First Christian’s vision is to “double and deepen” in the next five years. Our mission is to be a church where Christ is first, where
the lost are found, where the Word is heard, where care is shared, and where the world is changed. First Christian runs about 1,200 in weekend attendance with over 2,000 members. A new 1,600 seat worship center was completed in 2006 with major renovations
to the children’s areas over the last two years. The staff consists of eight full-time pastors and over 20 total staff members. The church is located in the large city suburb of Florissant located in the north part of St. Louis, MO. The city and the church
have a diverse ethnic make-up.
The candidate will ideally have 5+ years of experience in children’s ministry in a church of 500+. The candidate will have a love for families and children (birth – grade 5). This person will have a heart and desire to lead children to a life changing personal
relationship with Jesus Christ. The successful candidate will be a department leader possessing strong administrative and organizational skills necessary for effectively building a ministry team focused on families and children. This person must be an effective
communicator to different people groups (e.g. families, kids, volunteers, etc.) and be able to handle multiple priorities successfully while meeting deadlines.
Purpose of Ministry Position:
1. To ignite a desire within children for a genuine relationship with Christ and to equip kids to be influential in their community.
2. Encourage and equip parents to develop a Biblical worldview in their children.
3. Promote spiritual growth in children ages birth-grade 5 through various programming elements, both Sundays and Wednesdays, and other special events throughout the year.
- Serve as the Department Leader for Children’s Ministry.
- Cast vision, monitor data, set goals, and drive expectations for all programming and ministry for children ages birth – grade 5, including Sunday morning nursery, preschool & elementary worship services, Sunday School classes, Wednesday nights, summer programming,
special events, etc. – EVERYTHING for kids!
- Function on a team where change is rapid and work is evaluated on performance.
- Choose and prepare curriculum for each program and each age level.
- Create environments, activities, and programs for each age group that will capture a child’s excitement and facilitate learning as well as encourage spiritual growth.
- Form a safe and secure ministry framework and utilize the computer check in system, wherein kids are safe and spiritual teaching can occur.
- Create systems, train, and mobilize volunteers to develop a consistent quality of programming on a weekly basis.
- Recruit, train, schedule, and lead teams of volunteers including assimilation of new volunteers.
- Provide care for children and families within the church including hospital visits and follow-up.
- Maintain a strategy for reaching and involving new children and families.
- Plan and oversee special events such as VBS, Baby Day, Summer Camp, Children’s choir performances, etc.
- Effectively manage the children’s ministry budget.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with parents as well as provide the tools they need for spiritual leadership of their family.
- Equip and encourage parents as the Biblical leaders of their households.
- Lead and delegate responsibility to a part-time children’s administrative assistant.
- Lead high level leaders and manage staff.
- Be an effective ministry team member who collaborates on “all church” events, attends weekly staff meetings, and other general staff requirements. (hospital calling, scheduling, etc.)
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in ministry or ministry experience equivalent in children’s ministry. Bible college training and degree from a Christian college preferred.
- 5+ years experience in children’s ministry of a church of 500+ preferred.
- Must be a professing, born-again believer with a maturing relationship with Christ through daily Bible study, prayer, and Christian community.
- A thorough knowledge of the Bible is essential.
- A calling to and heart for the greater St. Louis area and a willingness to live in the Florissant area.
- Expertise in effective children's ministry programming and systems.
- Skills as a department leader with ability to hire, direct paid and unpaid interns, and recruit high capacity volunteers to develop ministry teams.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Pass background check.
- High commitment to First Christian.
Passion for the Bible and innovation, Passion and drive for evangelism and reaching the unchurched, Ability to maintain Children’s excitement for a weekend service and programs, Ready to work hard to grow and build exceptional teams, Exhibit professionalism,
Flexible, Confidential, Possess discernment and wise judgment, Attention to details with an eye for excellence, Self-starter, Good at multi-tasking and prioritizing projects, A people magnet that volunteers love to serve and follow, Willing to do whatever
it takes, Contagious energy and joyful spirit, Don’t take yourself too seriously, Positive attitude, Risk taker with the ability to lead and manage a large and growing children's ministry, Love God and love people!
This position will work directly under the supervision and evaluation of the Executive Pastor.
- Membership at First Christian or at your own home church.
- Serve on a volunteer team at First Christian or at your own home church.
- Faithful history of tithing at First Christian or at your own home church.
To apply for this position, send a letter of application and resume to Executive Pastor Dr. Tyler Brown at
firstname.lastname@example.org by December 20, 2012. This posting date is subject to change.