JOB DESCRIPTION – Congregational Pastor
Tung Chung Church
A small but growing international urban church in Tung Chung, Hong Kong
PRINCIPAL FUNCTION: The Pastor is responsible for providing spiritual instruction and strategic leadership to the members, staff, and ministries of the church, and is to use his skills in proclamation and pastoral care to meet the needs of persons in the church and community. The Pastor is not responsible for doing all the work, but for seeing that it is done and done well.
The Congregational Pastor is a member of the board of Elders but cannot be Chairman or Vice Chairman and is unable to vote or be present on matter pertaining to his appointment, remuneration, or conditions of service.
- 1. Provide Spiritual Leadership
- Give Biblical preaching on Sunday mornings
- Lead worship services which are appropriate to congregational needs
- Lead the Lord’s Supper once per month
- Provide regular opportunities for Baptism
- Conduct funerals and weddings as needed
- Foster an environment of brotherly love and authenticity
- Encourage stewardship and missions support
- Maintain a vital and wholesome personal relationship with the Lord
- Maintain proper priorities at home with his family
- 2. Provide Pastoral Leadership
- Visit church members
- Empower church leaders to develop in their ministry
- Counsel members and attenders in times of crisis
- Participates with elders in all church discipline matters and the management of conflict issues in the church
- Develop a process of systematically guiding new believers to greater spiritual maturity
- 3. Provide Outreach Leadership
- Organize and lead members to do evangelism to unchurched persons
- Lead church in planning regular outreach opportunities
- Follow up with new visitors
- Provide regular membership opportunities
- 4. Provide Administrative Leadership
- Lead church to develop basic church programs
- Lead church to develop shared vision
- Participate with elders in church personnel decisions
- Lead church to plan monthly/annual calendar
- Supervise church employees according to church policy
- Bible expertise and training
- Ministry experience
- Cross-cultural experience
- Agree to Tung Chung Church Statement of Faith
Special Needs of Tung Chung Church
1. Large amount of children under the age of 10
- Recruitment and training of children’s ministry volunteers
- Clear vision and curriculum for children’s ministry
- Events designed for young families
- Develop a comprehensive plan for ministry through life stages
- Training and resources for young families
2. Undefined church organization
- Organize and nurture healthy church leadership
- Develop policies and procedures for smooth church function
- Develop and maintain active church membership
- Empower members to discover their gifts and use them within the church
- Deal with constantly transitioning population and lifestyle
3. Diverse church body
- Be sensitive to and celebrate many members whose first language is not English
- Allow for varying theological viewpoints while maintaining a solid Biblical foundation
- Make efforts to break down cultural and socio-economic barriers to fellowship
4. Facility challenges
- Pastor needs to work out of his home
- Maintain good relations with current facility landlords
- Ensure smooth set-up and take down of facilities
- Innovate ways to make a 900 seat auditorium work for a small congregation and secondary school classrooms work for small children
5. Financial Future
- Build up monthly income to sustainable level
Tung Chung Church Statement of Faith
- The Bible is the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21).
- There is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:3-14).
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His return to earth in power and glory (John 1:14, Romans 3:24-26, John 20:25-27, 1 John 2:1).
- Salvation can only be obtained through the regeneration by the Holy Spirit, and through the Holy Spirit we are led to follow Christ (Romans 5:5).
- There will be a judgment of sins, and those who believe in Jesus will spend eternity with Him and those who do not believe will be cast into an eternity of Hell (Revelation 20:11-15, Revelation 21).
- We believe in the spiritual unity among believers through a deep love in our Lord Jesus Christ (John 17:23, 1 Peter 1:22).
- Our message should be for the modern culture but not influenced by the world (1 Corinthians 9:19-23).
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Sr. PastorEast Chain Evangelical Free Church
- Granada, Minnesota
- January 20
Senior PastorFirst Baptist Dexter
- Dexter, Missouri
- January 19
Senior PastorFirst Baptist Church of Westerlo
- Westerlo, New York
- January 19
Senior PastorMemorial Baptist Church
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- January 19
Lead PastorEvana Network
- Goshen, Indiana
- January 16
Tung Chung Church
A growing international church. Our congregation includes people from all over the world. We are conservative in our Theology while allowing for the freedom we have in Christ and the diversity that makes our church unique. The area of Tung Chung has many english speakers and the need is great. We have many young families and are looking for our first full time pastor.More...