JOB OVERVIEW The Director of Worship Arts will demonstrate a strong commitment to Jesus Christ while developing and implementing a worship arts ministry that enhances worship services. The Director of Worship Arts, while answering to the Senior Pastor, is accountable to the Church Administrator on a day-to-day basis as a member of the church staff. As a member of the staff, the Director of Worship Arts will also interface regularly and cooperatively with other staff members and members of the music ministry.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
1. Overall accountability for the worship arts ministries of the church, including the following: The Band, Throne Zone Worship Team, STCF Adult Choir, STCF Senior Choir, The Children’s Choir, Shekinah Liturgical Dance Ministry, David’s Daughters Dance Team, Angels of God’s Presence Dance Team, The Mime Ministry and other related ministries.
2. Establish standards for all worship arts ministries and oversee evaluation against those standards to identify progress in achieving the vision. Oversee the administrative duties of the worship arts ministries, working closely with the senior pastor, technical crew, and other related personnel. Adult choir (weekly rehearsal and Sunday worship) Schedule and oversee senior, children and/or youth choir rehearsals and performances. Provide special seasonal music (including hiring musicians as needed) Coordinate the playing of organ and piano for all regular and special services (conferences, funerals, speaking engagements, weddings, etc.) Responsible for securing substitutes when absent from the worship services. Select music from sacred, classical, traditional, contemporary, gospel, Latino, quartet, and other resources to minister to a well rounded group of worshippers.
3. Assist with the purchase all music, supplies, equipment, and supervise their maintenance. Keep an inventory of all musical and technical equipment.
4. Attend weekly church staff meetings.
5. Assist in the development of the annual music ministry budget
6. Assist with the development and operation of the recording studio.
7. Provide choir members with resources and opportunities for musical growth by informing them of and scheduling workshops, retreats, etc. in order to facilitate their growth and development as musicians.
8. Encourage growth and development of the worship arts ministries in line with the mission of the church.
9. Responsible for discerning the musically gifted and interested and be able to recruit and equip those persons for the ministry of music, enabling a broader participation from the church body.
10. Continually work on developing and improving personal skills for use in ministry so that the worship arts ministry can grow in this congregation. Participation in workshops, conferences, seminars, etc. is encouraged and expected.
11. Develop a second and third deep volunteer staff to assist with the demands of the music ministry.
12. Assist the pastor in planning congregational services of the church and be responsible for selecting the music.
13. Serve as a leader in the worship services, giving direction to the congregational singing, choir, and other phases of worship.
14. Lead in maintaining a church music committee, team, or council. Seek input from members in matters such as goal setting, evaluation, leadership, personnel policies for paid staff, facilities, finance, and administrative procedures.
15. Prepare reports necessary to keep the church fully informed concerning the music ministry.
16. Prepare, with assistance from the music committee and music staff members, an annual music budget reflecting the needs of the entire music program. Administrate the budget once it is approved by the church.
17. Maintain a consistent program of self-improvement.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Strong commitment to Jesus Christ with a lifestyle consistent with scripture and Christian standards.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Music, preferred. Will consider a candidate who completed a trade program with emphasis in music/sound.
- The flexibility to consider, assess, and implement new and innovative methods and programs to enhance the music ministry and worship of the church.
- Effective planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to utilize the giftedness of others and encourage creativity.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must possess solid time management skills and organizational abilities. The ability to coordinate several activities at once and to quickly analyze and resolve specific problems is important.
- Ability to communicate and establish effective working relationships with all levels of people, conveying a genuine concern for their needs and a desire to provide exceptional service, is essential for this position.
- Be creative, detail oriented, flexible, and decisive with the ability to organize and coordinate work, set priorities, and motivate others.
- Proficiency in organ, piano, voice, and music direction.
- Skill in choir training and selection of appropriate music.
- Ability to read music.
- Familiarity with different genres of music. Experience and Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Music, preferred. Completion of college or trade program with an emphasis in music/sound.
- Three to five years of experience as a director of music and/or organist desired.
NON-MUSIC RELATED RESPONSIBILITY
- Provide music ministry data and reports as requested.
- Manage music related media for website, television broadcast, and Senior Pastor’s speaking engagements.
- Teach various bible studies as required.
- Provide technological assistance when applicable.
- Develop a long range worship plan in collaboration with the Senior Pastor.
- Any and other duties as assigned.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship LeaderMountain View Presbyterian Church
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- January 19
Worship LeaderBethany Christian Reformed Church
- Bellflower, California
- January 19
Director of WorshipTrinity Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- Florence, South Carolina
- January 19
Worship PastorGeneration Church
- Mesa, Arizona
- January 18
Director of Worship (Non-Traditional)Trinity United Methodist Church
- Columbus, Ohio
- January 17
Set The Captives Free Outreach Center
In June 1988 Pastor Karen was ordained an elder in a Word of Faith Church in Baltimore, Maryland. Preaching since age 17, she went on to minister all over Baltimore and surrounding areas as an evangelist. Her initial sermon was preached in December of 1976 at Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church in Baltimore, Maryland where she had been a member since birth. December 1999 Pastor Karen came under the covering of Bishop T. D. Jakes in preparation for opening the church doors in April of 2000. On April 9, 2000, under h More...