FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Primary Objective: To provide financial, administrative, and organizational support for the ministry teams
of the First Presbyterian Church of Amarillo.
Ministry Area: Administration
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Prepared by: Search Committee
Committee Approved: Session Approved:
Full Time Background check required
- College graduate with degree in business or finance; CPA or MBA preferred
- 5 years of experience in business and financial management/leadership
- Christian ministry involvement
- Successful coordination and management of staff in a large organization to accomplish organizational objectives
- Demonstrated ability to manage diverse departments
Background Check Required
The Business Administrator shall:
- Serve as the Chief Financial Officer accountable for all assigned aspects of the church’s finances including conducting the day-to-day business of the church.
- Coordinate the preparation of an annual operating and capital budget with the help of church staff and committees.
- Maintain and appropriate chart of accounts to reflect the current financial position of the church and its ministry activities in accordance with accounting standards approved by the outside auditors.
- Ensure that adequate internal controls, including those recommended by our auditors, are in place and utilized to protect the churches assets.
- Provide monthly and annual financial reports, tax returns requested and all other legislated reporting.
- Prepare monthly and year-to-date current vs prior period financial package, including balance sheet accounts and P&L actual vs budget for the Finance Committee to review monthly. Attend Finance Committee meetings and be available to answer questions.
- Reconcile all bank accounts by the fifteenth working day of each month, and include a copy in the monthly financial package provided to the Finance Committee.
- Monitor spending to assure that the approved budget is being met; and report any exceptions to the Senior Pastor and Finance Committee. Work to make sure costs are kept to a minimum through efficient and wise purchasing procedures.
- Ensure that donor restricted and Session designated monies are properly accounted for and meet the intent of the donor.
- Provide information as requested to auditors on a timely basis. Work with auditors to provide presentation of audit to the Senior Pastor and Finance Committee.
- Make recommendation to the appropriate Committee and Session of needed changes in financial policies.
- Maintain accurate records pertaining to gifts from trusts and estates.
- Review Contracts for conformity with church policy; securing outside legal counsel and control of legal communications when necessary.
- Hold check signing authority for expenditures up to $250; above $250 with two signature procedure.
- Sign contracts as necessary to perform the business of the church if in the approved budget; prese