This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Gloria Dei Lutheran Church
Garland, Texas, United States
Date Posted: 06/04/2008
Church Size: 50 to 100
Job Type: Part-Time
The Music Director shall provide musical leadership for Sunday morning services (typically 8:15 and 11:00 a.m.). The Music Director shall be conversant with hymns and liturgies that are to be sung. This includes cantoring for traditional service and leading music at the contemporary worship.
The Music Director shall plan, lead, direct, and coordinate the music for worship services. This includes primary responsibility for music selection for the choir and for the contemporary worship, as well as for seasonal services, and special music programs. Music shall be selected that is inclusive music for performance, taking into account the varied skill levels of the choir members, and for the Celebration singers band members, as well as trying to match the theme of the service of the day.
Skills and Qualifications:
1. Preference of a minimum of a Bachelor of Music degree in music, church music, or related degree. Additional minimum of 2 -5 years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Knowledge of Lutheran worship tradition and a theological understanding of the church sufficient to understand the importance of music in the liturgy and appropriately select music and texts for traditional worship. Significant knowledge and familiarity with contemporary Christian music and presentation of such is required.
3. Strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate choir members, musicians and singers. Experience as a "team player" and the ability to consistently exhibit effective interpersonal communication skills to work well with others and participate in a church setting working with staff, musicians, volunteers, congregational leaders.
4. Ability to perform a wide range of musical styles.
5. Spiritual maturity and commitment to a Christian lifestyle. Exhibit a passion for God and a Christ-like spirit evidenced in his personal life, his family relationships and his ministry.
6. Strong organization and administrative skills and be a dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative leader.