This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Family & Children's Pastor
Calvary Chapel Newport News
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 08/12/2008
Categories: Children's Pastor
Denominations: Calvary Chapel
Church Size: 1001 to 1500
Job Type: Full-Time
FAMILY & CHILDREN’S MINISTRY PASTOR
Calvary Chapel is currently looking for a Children's Pastor to become a part of an exciting, expanding and vibrant children’s ministry. Calvary Chapel is a non-denominational, international teaching ministry with close to 30 countries represented in our body of worshipers. Calvary Chapel is located in Newport News,Virginia- a vital part of the Hampton Roads community. The rich history of this area along with the international trade, tourism, military bases and agriculture provide a diverse socio-economic and cultural base for this central Tidewater location.
We are presently about to transition our Children’s ministry, Calvary Kingdom, into our new, state of the art 8,300 sqft facility. Expanded classrooms and such exciting elements as an ehanced indoor playground, castles, slides, a ball pool and a variety of other innovative and creative activity areas are designed to support our primary purpose of drawing our children closer to Jesus Christ. We are looking for a proven and experienced Children's Pastor to take this ministry to the next level. If you have experience working with over 300 children and close to 100 volunteers (with continued growth on the horizon), then you might be the one God is sending us. Qualified applicants only need apply. All interested candidates should contact us via email only.
I. PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS:
This person must have made a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and must demonstrate the reality of that relationship through their life and testimony. This person must have ministry experience in working with adults, and the ability to relate to them on a personal and spiritual level. This person has a Christlike attitude that is accepting and inclusive of all the diverse parts of the body of Christ. This person must be self-directed, high-energy, enthusiastic and self-motivated with a history of success. The person must possess a strong fervor for reaching the lost and helping the Church reach the community through evangelism, service, outreach, and personal relationships.
This person must be creative, highly organized, and effective in managing multiple priorities and assignments. The person have the conceptual skills to develop an idea into an active ministry. This person is to have a strong and consistent Biblical teaching ability and be able to effectively communicate God’s word in various settings. This person must also possess strong oral and written communication skills and must have the ability to master the church PC programs including Microsoft Office products. This person must have proven interpersonal and conflict management skills and be able to make decisions in keeping with the vision, policies, and practices of Calvary Chapel Newport News.
Much of the Assistant Pastor's job description involves ensuring his spiritual life, character, carriage, demeanor, education, training and attitude always represent Christ and his church. This takes constant effort through prayer, worship, scriptural study, professional growth, education, training and personal fellowship with the congregation. This person realizes that God is always working, seeks to join God in His work, and is willing to make life adjustments to join God in what He is doing.
II. DISTINCTIVE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Support the senior pastor in carrying out the ministry of Calvary Chapel Newport News to include:
1. Ordained for ministry
2. Assuming the responsibility for preaching Sunday morning and Wednesday evening services when the senior pastor is not available
3. Pastoral Counseling
4. Follow up with first time visitors via phone calls
5. Plan and direct retreats, Bible studies, special services and outreaches
6. Participate in staff meetings and leadership training sessions
7. Handle emergency situations
8. Conflict resolution among church members
9. Visit and maintain contact with church members that are sick, hospitalized or shut-in
10. Inform senior pastor of special needs of ministry groups or any critical issues within the church
11. Pray for and with church members
12. Discipleship of all ages when needed
13. Shepherd, guide, support, and develop the Church Leaders and maintain regular scheduled contact with the leaders
14. Assist the senior pastor as needed in administrative tasks, special projects and campaigns
15. Perform weddings, funerals, baptisms and baby dedications periodically as needed to assist the Senior Pastor
III. MINISTRY RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Children’s Pastor is a full-time pastor who provides dynamic leadership, creates and casts vision and effectively empowers, equips, and pastors volunteers and corresponding staff to participate in the ministries under his oversight. The Pastor plays a vital role in creating a structure that provides a safe, nurturing, educational and fun environment for children ages birth through sixth grade. Working together with the professional and lay children’s ministry staff, he leads, promotes and oversees the spiritual formation of children by teaching them to worship, learn and obey the Word, win others to Christ, serve the body and participate in the community. He also assists parents in the development of biblical parenting skills so that families are being formed spiritually.
1. Experience working with a children’s ministry of 300 or more youth
2. Provide solid teaching of both biblical theology and social issues that directly relate to children and their families
3. Train and Equip staff in continuously identifying and raising up lay staff to serve in the ministry according to their gifts
4. Develop and implement all activities related to children’s ministry (e.g., VBS, retreats, camps, summer programs)
5. Maintain and uphold all church policy statements regarding children
6. Regularly evaluate the ministry's effectiveness in developing children spiritually
7. Develop and teach parenting training courses
8. Meet with parents for individual guidance and care
9. Identify and stay current with materials and techniques relevant to communicate biblical truth to various ages
10. Select and/or develop curriculum
11. Recruit, screen, schedule and equip volunteers who have a passion for shepherding and discipling children
12. Oversee budget and expenditures for children’s ministry
13. Continually study, research and assist in the development of relevant cutting edge community outreach opportunities that would be influenced by culture changes and generational groups
14. Regularly meet with leaders to evaluate ministry effectiveness and progress, brainstorm ideas and discuss challenges
Relation to the Staff: The Children’s Ministry Pastor reports directly to the Executive Pastor. An annual review will be conducted by the Executive and Senior Pastor to evaluate the efficacy of the goals and objectives established for his ministries.
Disclaimer: This position description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of those essential job duties.